Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Migrated AC 17 Won't Open on new iMac - Advice Needed

David Norman
Participant
Well, I just migrated my old iMac (Snow Leopard) to a new iMac with Mavericks. AC17 won't open. Searching the forums I now realize that I should have uninstalled AC17 on my old iMac before migrating, then reinstalled on the new iMac. However now AC17 is corrupted on my new iMac and even the Uninstaller won't work.

What would you suggest? Uninstall AC on my old machine, then wipe clean my new machine, then re-do the entire migration, then re-install AC17? Do I need to re-install the OS as well?

Your advice will be appreciated. This issue should be flagged more clearly by Graphisoft.
AC17 | iMac 3.5 i7 | OS 10.9
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
David:

One thing to try is running the AC17 installer, it has a Repair option when it finds a previous AC17 installation.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Karl Ottenstein
David Norman,

Repeating migration would be overkill and more painful than it is worth I think.

If the repair that David Maudlin mentions doesn't allow the uninstall to run... then try this:

1. Move the Applications > Graphisoft > ArchiCAD 17 folder to the trash.

2. Follow this article on Preferences Cleaning:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/PreferencesCleaning

The 17 files/folder names may be a bit different from this 1.5 year old article - e.g., for a US user, one of the preference folders to delete is:
~/Library/Preferences/Graphisoft/AC-64 17.0.0 USA v1

similar AC-64 name prefix for the plist, etc.

3. Empty the trash

4. Unplug your WIBU/Codemeter keyplug

5. Re-install 17 / reboot / plug in your keyplug

It the above doesn't work, it won't have hurt to try, anyway. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Norman
Participant
Thanks Karl and David. I tried both of your suggestions, but was unable to repair and reinstall AC17. When I try to reinstall, I get a message saying "An error occurred. The following files are missing:" showing a very long list of missing Archicad files.

Guess I'm back to repeating the migration.
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Guess I'm back to repeating the migration.
This (including erasing your disk and reinstalling Mavericks) really seems like overkill. Contact tech support in the morning to have them walk you through reinstallation of 17. Until they're open, any additional info you share might help us help you further.

When I talked about reinstall... I was talking about a fresh installation from the original installation download dmg (or disk). The message about files missing seems inconceivable to me for that (I CAN see you getting that message for a repair).

If you've deleted the application folder and the preferences, open Disk Utility and do a Verify Disk (should be fine) and a Repair Permissions (likely to find stuff) and try a fresh install of 17 again on your new machine. If you feel like giving it a try.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Norman
Participant
Reinstalling AC17 on my new iMac launched the Archicad repair program, which is when I got the error message about the missing files. Tried a couple of times but no luck. The uninstaller didn't work either. The installation was corrupted.

I ended up wiping the computer and doing another migration, after first un-installing AC17 on my old computer, then migrating, then installing AC17 on the new computer once the migration was complete. Seems to work fine now (but was a pain).

Thanks for your input.