Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ventura

Ventura is out on Monday, so here we go again:

https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/macOS-and-Archicad/ta-p/303978

Graphisoft's macOS support remains self-indulgently cringe. No, it's not normal for app devs to demand a six-month delay in using the current OS. The dev previews have been available for 4 months.

People 1) buy new computers, 2) want new OS features, 3) have other software which may require a current OS, 4) update by accident, 5) use windows PCs without this nonsense.

Apple Silicon has been out for two years.

Kindly update this advice in serious consideration of your users' needs.

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
28 REPLIES 28
Mark Pout
Contributor

I've Been doing some reading on this and it's actually worse than in previous years especially for Mac Admins who are trying to stop their end users from updating. 

See this article for further explanation  but essentially the update from Monterey to Ventura is classed as a Delta update. Which means from January 23rd 2023 the traditional blocks and holds we could put in place to stop people from updating WILL NOT WORK! This move to Delta updates for major OS releases looks to be a permanent one from Apple so I'd like to know what Graphisoft's plans are to update their release cycle so we can get a stable versions of Archicad from Day one of new OS launches.

Without these blockers we've used historically, we are going to need Graphisoft's help to mitigate the issue and working more closely to the OS Update cycle is the only  way I can see this working now.

Also, couple of points on the  macOS and Archicad Article:

•  It's not fair or right to expect your customers to BETA test your software for you. that's what the BETA  and Apple Seed programs are for!
  • Suggesting to 'run Archicad on the OS version it was designed to run on' is asking companies to lower their security stance. 
  • Suggesting the above will land most company's in breach of their Cyber Insurances they hold, which almost invariably insist that software is fully patched.

I have also raised the issues around Cyber Security with Graphisoft and the need for software to be fully updated and patched.

I generally run the Beta of macOS updated through Parallels and also the Archicad Betas so am more than happy to provide feedback but the reporting system needs to remain open at Graphisoft's side to enable the reporting of issues.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Hi, is there a crashing going on with Archicad with macOS Ventura on VM? Thanks in advance.

DGSketcher
Legend

In case you all missed this announcement in this very organised forum...

https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/macOS-13-Ventura-release/ba-p/359934 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Confirmed this issue. If the first character you type activates the tracker and autofills (i.e. a number) then that character stays selected so when you type again it is overwritten. Work around is to use Tab to activate the tracker.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try

vlahtinen
Booster

@James Murray wrote:

Graphisoft's macOS support remains self-indulgently cringe.

People 1) buy new computers, 2) want new OS features, 3) have other software which may require a current OS, 4) update by accident, 5) use windows PCs without this nonsense.

I would add to the top of the list: People want the most secure OS available. This is especially important because Apple fully patches only the most recent operating system. In other words, Graphisoft’s customers are possibly exposed to security vulnerabilities for up to six months.

Given that the line-type dialog is not working on Ventura and the vast amount of small bugs throughout the software, there must be some sort of organisational issue with testing and quality control at Graphisoft. What kind of tests were done during the beta testing period, if the problem with the line-type dialog didn’t get caught?

I was wondering if this note had been incorporated into the original article. It appears unchanged, but has a modification date of today (Nov 10). Of course nothing is posted here. The forum is great.

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
timdelheyeian
Booster

So I ended up installing Ventura and for my project work, AC26 functions normally. Today, I upgraded to the Apple Silicon version of AC26 (4024). So at the moment, I am running what I have been waiting for for a couple of years. An ASi version of AC on an M1 Mac with the current macOS. Wish me luck 😉 

Certified Passive House Designer
ArchiCAD 26 (started with v4)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, 64 GB, 32-core graphics