Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ventura

Ventura is out on Monday, so here we go again:

https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/macOS-and-Archicad/ta-p/303978

Graphisoft's macOS support remains self-indulgently cringe. No, it's not normal for app devs to demand a six-month delay in using the current OS. The dev previews have been available for 4 months.

People 1) buy new computers, 2) want new OS features, 3) have other software which may require a current OS, 4) update by accident, 5) use windows PCs without this nonsense.

Apple Silicon has been out for two years.

Kindly update this advice in serious consideration of your users' needs.

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
28 REPLIES 28
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

Classic! Just came to the forum to see if there was any change in their approach this year. It's rather absurd. It's very hard to avoid updating by accident.

Karl Ottenstein

Well said as always, James.  Most of us use tons of different software; in my case, every other piece of software is ready every fall for the new macOS except Archicad.  I've never understood how everyone else can be part of the MacOS beta process and successfully release their compatible versions and yet Graphisoft doesn't have a stable release for the new macOS until 3 to 6 months later. 🙄

(Granted, in the last few years, Apple's first release of the new macOS is buggy that it makes no sense to upgrade until at least their first 0.1 update.)

Personally, I'm only just now getting ready to upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey because of putting it off due to all of the issues with Archicad and Monterey last winter/spring.  But, as you say, anyone buying a new Mac will get Ventura... and will be scr*w*d if Archicad is not ready.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

It is worrying me as we are currently looking to replace 50% of our Macs in the next 6 months with new MacMini M1’s or iMacs. They will likely come with Ventura ore-installed. I’ve always said I’d be more than happy to test Archicad with the latest os. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

I will be installing Ventura as a VM so I can install Archicad and see what happens. It’ll be useful to get hold of a final build of the silicon version of Archicad to test in Ventura. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Brad Elliott
Booster

And it is doubly bad now. I held off upgrading to an M1 Macbook Pro because why bother when Archicad doesn't run native on it. And now it looks like the M2 will be introduced shortly and Archicad still hasn't released a native version.

I feel silly hoping that they are going to release the silicon native version concurrently with Ventura when I actually expect them to say they are delaying the update to improve compatibility.

Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro

There is already a 2nd public preview version of AC 26 INT ARM available from Graphisoft.
So everyone interested is free to test/use it (with limitations: no Teamwork, no add-ons).

By the way: AC 25 and 26 run very nice and smoothly and are not slower (than native Intel) in Rosetta mode on M1 Macs.

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest

There is? My AC 26 INT for Apple Silicon is build 3549 says there are no updates available when checking for new versions. That's the build number of the original preview release AFAIK.

It won’t update itself automatically. You have to remove the current installation and install the new updated replacement one. The Tech Previews don’t work with automatic updates unfortunately. There is a link in the forum somewhere for the new one. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Here’s the link

https://dl.Graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/Archicad-26-D1-INT-3550-1.1-ARM.dmg

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)