BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Will my PC AC 9 work on a mac?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had it with my pc and am thinking of switching to macs. Do I have to get a mac version of the software or will my pc version work?

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
__archiben
Booster
deesee wrote:
I've had it with my pc and am thinking of switching to macs. Do I have to get a mac version of the software or will my pc version work?
your original installer CD should contain both the PC and mac installation . . . the dongle works on both. shouldn't be a problem but do a search through the rest of this forum anyway - it may throw up a few minor issues that you'll need to consider as a part of the move.

i will say one thing: as much as graphisoft say they support macs and pcs equally, archiCAD for mac is the most un-mac-like, misbehaved, cludge of an application that i have on my mac . . . hoping intel chips might change that . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
deesee wrote:
archiCAD for mac is the most un-mac-like, misbehaved, cludge of an application that i have on my mac . . . hoping intel chips might change that . . .

~/archiben
When are the intel based mac's set to debut?
Dwight
Newcomer
debuts next year - but who knows what overall interface changes will occur by then..........
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
deesee wrote:
When are the intel based mac's set to debut?
no idea - sorry. and also no idea whether an archiCAD properly written for the mac-intel chip will actually be any better . . . just hoping with intent . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys!!
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I seriously doubt that the interface for the Intel version of OSX will look any different. It will probably just be the next iteration of OSX after tiger(OSX10.5 - Tabby maybe?), which will need to be released for PowerPC's as well.
I played with the Developer version of it the other day, and it looked axactly the same. The only way you could tell that it wasn't running on Macintosh hardware, was the 'About this Mac' box.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
__archiben
Booster
henrypootel wrote:
I seriously doubt that the interface for the Intel version of OSX will look any different.
huh? of course it won't. that's the point!

what i meant was that archiCAD, as it's currently written, for powerPC chips is an incredibly badly behaved shocker compared with all other apps written for the powerPC chip/mac OSX. i'm hoping that archiCAD for macIntel chips may mean less dedicated optimisation (butchery) for the mac version side of things . . . but i'm not a techie . . .

the actual user interface is a whole other story. don't even think about getting me started on that . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Right.
I just mean that i don't think that the mere fact of using a different architecture will change anything.
For example: RedHat Linux for i386, PowerPC, Sparc, and amd64 are all exactly the same.
The only real difference is that they are compiled differently.

I don't think that moving to a different architecture will change any of the 'cludgy butchering', as it is between the program and the OS where this happens, not between the program and the hardware.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
__archiben
Booster
henrypootel wrote:
I don't think that moving to a different architecture will change any of the 'cludgy butchering', as it is between the program and the OS where this happens, not between the program and the hardware.
ah! gotcha. so all the cludgery that GS do for the mac version is to tie the app into the OSX frameworks? and that's not likely to change when they prepare it for OSX-Intel compiles? shit.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Learn and get certified!