Setup & License forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS Catalina and ArchiCAD 23

Rex Maximilian
Advocate
Apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else. I did do a search for the keyword "Catalina" but didn't see anything on this topic.

Question: Since ArchiCAD 23 was released on the same day as macOS Catalina [edit: I see now Catalina will be released in October], (and was three-months behind standard release date, maybe benefitting by utilizing developer copies of Catalina), my question is:

"Will ArchiCAD 23 be compatible with macOS Catalina?"

...or at least, more so than usual? There is usually the dreaded do or die warning to not update the macOS generally until December or so. @LaszloNagy any word?

Thanks!
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 25 (user since 3.4, 1991)
27" iMac (2019), 8-core 3.6 Ghz i9 processor, 40GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48 (8GB)
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
27 REPLIES 27

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Dire warnings were posted here

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/87527/
We advise against using ARCHICAD on macOS 10.15 Catalina for production until the compatibility updates are released by GRAPHISOFT.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Rex Maximilian
Advocate
Thanks! You would hope a side benefit of having an extra three months to tweak the code would've allowed GS to work with the developer beta of Catalina for a more stable release of ArchiCAD 23. No other software I have (all of the Adobe Suite with heavy processing going on) is so handcuffed by OS updates. It gets frustrating.

I remember when High Sierra came out, it wasn't until late-December that it was "safe." And then, just by doing that update, BIMx never rendered with global illumination again. I even brought it up to tech support and while they acknowledged it (only with some machines and some video cards) said they knew of no way to fix it. Luckily my new iMac started rendering again properly. But now I fear the same may happen again with a Catalina update.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 25 (user since 3.4, 1991)
27" iMac (2019), 8-core 3.6 Ghz i9 processor, 40GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48 (8GB)
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

PB
Contributor
Heads up: MacOS Catalina is now available for download...
AC25. Twinmotion.
IMac Pro, OS11

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Do not install…
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

DGSketcher
Virtuoso
Eduardo, is that GS official guidance?

I must admit I'm usually pretty quick to install the latest OS but Apple seem to be plagued with the curse of 13 just now. Think I will wait for things to settle down at Apple's end and GS confirm compatibility.
Apple iMac macOS Big Sur / AC24UKI (most recent builds)

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Usually GS indicates when it is safe and AFAIK they have not said anything yet.
Mostly is that all I have read indicates to wait.
Usually I install first day and my plan is to wait for the first .1 update.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

matthewjj
Newcomer
Appears we now have the proceed with caution signal from Graphisoft. I interpret this as don’t migrate your whole office all at once but it’s safe to start testing it out.

Link posted above now says this:
Apple released the new macOS 10.15 Catalina on October 7, 2019.

macOS 10.15 Catalina
We advise you to proceed with caution when upgrading to macOS 10.15 Catalina. It is highly recommended to read the macOS and ARCHICAD article to learn more about this process and see our recommendations.

GRAPHISOFT plans to maintain the compatibility of ARCHICAD 22, 23, and BIMcloud with updates.

ARCHICAD 21 and older will not be made compatible with this future macOS.
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow
I am handcuffed with this new macOS Catalina upgrade. My Mac upgraded automatically and now all my version 21 and 22 keep crashing.

What do I do?

Roland

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
rwhitley wrote:
Wow
I am handcuffed with this new macOS Catalina upgrade. My Mac upgraded automatically and now all my version 21 and 22 keep crashing.

What do I do?

Restore Mojave from your Time Machine backup? (And turn off automatic updates.)
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.1, iMac Pro

mverbeek
Newcomer
The Graphisoft help page says:

ARCHICAD 23 FULL: is code-signed and notarized. The new version provides compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

I'm a bit confused: is this "new version" an upcoming version or the current 3003 build?

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
mverbeek wrote:
The Graphisoft help page says:

ARCHICAD 23 FULL: is code-signed and notarized. The new version provides compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Not sure what page you're referring to... can you post the link? All of the main / official pages do NOT claim Catalina compatibility.

For example, System Requirements for 23 here:
https://www.graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/AC23/?_ga=2.187311276.568735159.1570758940-12...
mentions only Mojoave and High Sierra (10.14 and 10.13) for the initial release (Build 3003).

Graphisoft's Catalina page - mentioned earlier in this thread - pretty much advises waiting a while - for both Apple updates to Catalina and updates to AC 23:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/87527/

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/96887/

This is always as it has been ... it is never wise to update to Apple's newest OS until at least the 0.1 or 0.2 update... as well as updates from Graphisoft.
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.1, iMac Pro

Barry Kelly
Moderator
Karl wrote:
mverbeek wrote:
The Graphisoft help page says:

ARCHICAD 23 FULL: is code-signed and notarized. The new version provides compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Not sure what page you're referring to... can you post the link? All of the main / official pages do NOT claim Catalina compatibility.

It is right on the Catalina page when you expand the Archicad 23 compatibility section.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/87527/

No wonder it is all so confusing.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Barry Kelly
Moderator
Just got an e-mail from Central Innovation (Archicad distributor in Australia) clearly stating "At this early stage, we would not recommend anyone to upgrade to Catalina on production machines."

It goes on to say you can upgrade at your own risk but it recommends ...

clients on business-critical projects are advised to keep working on macOS 10.14 for the time being

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I advise not too. My Mac upgraded and now I have issues when editing text. Archicad will just shut down. Im currently using Archicad 21. I was about to pay for the upgrade to 23 as they told me that this will fix the issue and then I got a call back from them telling me that the issue will still happen.

mverbeek
Newcomer
Barry wrote:
Karl wrote:
mverbeek wrote:
The Graphisoft help page says:

ARCHICAD 23 FULL: is code-signed and notarized. The new version provides compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Not sure what page you're referring to... can you post the link? All of the main / official pages do NOT claim Catalina compatibility.

It is right on the Catalina page when you expand the Archicad 23 compatibility section.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/87527/

No wonder it is all so confusing.

Barry.
Thanks Barry, that is indeed the page I was referring to. It's clear v22 is compatible with the recent hotfix. v23 is still unclear due to the way Graphisoft communicates this. It would be nice if they just say what build of v22 en v23 is compatible with Catalina. As long as it's not clear I won't upgrade.

Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
rwhitley wrote:
Wow
I am handcuffed with this new macOS Catalina upgrade. My Mac upgraded automatically and now all my version 21 and 22 keep crashing.

What do I do?

Roland
Hi Roland,

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing. In your case, I would suggest to either rollback to Mojave or Update your ARCHICAD 22 to the 6025 build (this is a mac-only update where compatibility was addressed). Any other previous builds of ARCHICAD 22 are not compatible with Catalina and so ARCHICAD cannot run reliably.

I hope I was able to help somehow!

I wish you a fantastic day!
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com

Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Barry wrote:
Karl wrote:
mverbeek wrote:
The Graphisoft help page says:

ARCHICAD 23 FULL: is code-signed and notarized. The new version provides compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Not sure what page you're referring to... can you post the link? All of the main / official pages do NOT claim Catalina compatibility.

It is right on the Catalina page when you expand the Archicad 23 compatibility section.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/87527/

No wonder it is all so confusing.

Barry.
Hello Barry,

Please allow me to apologize for the confusion. Thank you for pointing this out and for your feedback!
I have adjusted the note accordingly and now it states clearly which Builds are compatible.

I wish you a great day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com

Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
PDG wrote:
I advise not too. My Mac upgraded and now I have issues when editing text. Archicad will just shut down. Im currently using Archicad 21. I was about to pay for the upgrade to 23 as they told me that this will fix the issue and then I got a call back from them telling me that the issue will still happen.
Greetings,

I'm surprised that you have been told ARCHICAD 23 is not compatible. We released ARCHICAD 23 to be compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. During the Beta releases, we were constantly testing the Beta versions and made ARCHICAD 23 compatible with Catalina.

We still, nonetheless, advise you to proceed with caution as this is a new Operating System which implements many changes compared to how previous OS functioned. Unidentified issues might still surface.
Our official recommendation is to wait 6 months until things settle down.

I hope I could bring some clarity to this.
Kind regards,
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ghaleb wrote:
PDG wrote:
I advise not too. My Mac upgraded and now I have issues when editing text. Archicad will just shut down. Im currently using Archicad 21. I was about to pay for the upgrade to 23 as they told me that this will fix the issue and then I got a call back from them telling me that the issue will still happen.
Greetings,

I'm surprised that you have been told ARCHICAD 23 is not compatible. We released ARCHICAD 23 to be compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. During the Beta releases, we were constantly testing the Beta versions and made ARCHICAD 23 compatible with Catalina.

We still, nonetheless, advise you to proceed with caution as this is a new Operating System which implements many changes compared to how previous OS functioned. Unidentified issues might still surface.
Our official recommendation is to wait 6 months until things settle down.

I hope I could bring some clarity to this.
Kind regards,
Archicad 23 works fine, Archicad 22 with 6025 update works fine on Catalina. Only problem is with this tekst editing. Problem is also on Archicad 22 but without 6025 update.

Overall Archicad 21 works pretty well on Catalina, but has only one BUG and it's all about editing tekst.

When You finish editing tekst, and edit window closes the whole program CHRASHES !!! and that's even when Archicad have full disk access

Please @graphisoft make it work, please !!!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!