BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

new Mac, cannot open AC 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got a new 27" iMac, transfered all apps, files, ect from old iMac, all went well. Just tried to open AC17 and got a message " ArchiCAD 17 cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with developer to make sure ArchiCAD 17 works with this version of OS X. "

Any thoughts?

iMac 27"
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
8 gb ram
OS X 10.8.5
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
If you used Migration Assistant and moved everything / all check boxes, then this is surprising. Reinstallation of AC 17 would be the easiest thing to try next (and Disk Utility > Repair Permissions I suppose).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Carl - yes I did use the migration assistant, all boxes checked. I'll run disk repair and then reinstall all. Do I need to uninstall AC17 first?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl - I would like to reinstall AC17 but did not save the original upgrade download AC16 to AC17. What is the best way to reinstall AC17?
Karl Ottenstein
There are no special upgrade downloads (e.g., 16 to 17).... there is just a download for each version... and then the various hotfixes that may need to be applied (Help > Check for Updates) if the download isn't current.

If you still have a link to the US download site in your saved mail from GSUS, try that. But, if not, create an account at myarchicad.com and download 17 from there. You may have to indicate you're doing the 30 day free trial, but it's the same file - you'll just not use the trial code they give you, since your protection key should be recognized.

Yes, I'd run the uninstaller first - Applications > Graphisoft > ArchiCAD 17 > Uninstall.AC > uninstaller

Unplug your protection key during the re-installation of 17. Restart, plug in the key, launch 17 and hopefully all will be working... assuming that you did upgrade your key from 16 to 17?
http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/licensing/
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
For future reference
Transferring data between computers with Apple's Migration Assistant
/!\ Warning: Transferring user data to another computer via Apple's Migration Assistant to another computer with a newer OS X version (i.e. Computer A running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8 to Computer B running OS X Mavericks 10.9) is not advised and may result in corruption of ArchiCAD and BIM Server software.
The recommendation is that you first back-up your project files and Teamwork data, then uninstall any GRAPHISOFT software from the original computer, perform the Operating System migration, then re-install GRAPHISOFT software on the new computer. Failing to do so may result in you having to fully re-install your operating system on the new computer and install all programs from scratch along with user data.
from the wiki

http://www.archicadwiki.com/OsxMavericks
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Eduardo! Good to know!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Karl and Eduardo. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it all works out.

cheers
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
venecasper wrote:
Thank you Karl and Eduardo. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it all works out.

cheers
My universal experience (in all versions of the Mac OS and ArchiCAD) is that nothing from Graphisoft will work properly with either the Migration Assistant or Time Machine. I've experienced this many times over the years, so I now assume that everything from GS will have to be manually reinstalled. It's strange, because everything else works - OS, apps, documents, settings… but not ArchiCAD.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to know. I will try this later next week as I am finishing up several projects and using my old iMac. Get the work done, then plow thru the upgrades.

cheers
Learn and get certified!