Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.
SOLVED!

Thermal Bridging Accuracy

Alex C
Participant

I am looking at the viability of the EcoDesigner energy analysis tools for use within our office. I have a small model and I did a thermal bridge calculation of the perimeter slab edge condition and loaded that into overall energy analysis, however I noticed that there is a discrepancy with the Psi values. What's shown int he thermal bridge simulation window is totally different from the value that shows up on the structures page. Is this an error is there something I am missing?

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 12 Monterey

Screen Shot 2024-04-08 at 11.18.36 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

I would guess the bug is in unit conversion or it might be "just" a unit display bug.

1,07 W/mK = 0,62 Btu/Ft hr F

BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation with Archicad AddOn :: rushing to publish a beta preview

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

I would guess the bug is in unit conversion or it might be "just" a unit display bug.

1,07 W/mK = 0,62 Btu/Ft hr F

BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation with Archicad AddOn :: rushing to publish a beta preview
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

Besides that I don't think your detail has correct soil dimensions (that would also depend on standards used).

According to ISO 10211:2008 you should model soil cutting it at least min(20 meters ; 2,5 B'), where B' = A / 0,5P, on the outer side of the detail and downwards in the soil and at least min(4 meters ; 0,5 B').

Ahhh that makes sense. I have never actually used any thermal bridging software so thank you for the tip about the standards.

Setup info provided by author