Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BIM Server Network Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a strange issue with the Team Work 2 and I wanted to get the thoughts of those who are experienced with network configuration.

We I joint a project from the Team Work menu using Open / Join Teamwork Project command I see the server using the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) ourserver.gotdns.com

It appears to load correctly and appears to function. When I use check connections under the Teamwork Palette it fails saying resolve DNS has failed, but when I look at the server name is shows ourserver instead of the FQDN, ourserver.gotdns.com. It is truncating the name. I server appears to work but I now these things can very very finicky when dealing with network settings. I don't want to deploy this thinking it works only to find out that it doesn't. Does anyone know how to fix this so it shows the FQDN in both locations? Just want to make sure my setup it solid. Possibly it is using the Local Hostname? Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wondering if you ever found a resolution to this, or indeed if it ever posed any real problems. We are newly adopting ArchiCAD in our office, and I'm seeing this exact same behavior.
Karl Ottenstein
The ArchiCADWiki articles on setting up for remote access note that you may have to edit your local hosts file so that within the office you can use the FQDN just as when you are outside of the office. (Of course, if you use a VPN, you do not need a FQDN, hosts, etc in any case.)

Setting things up takes careful reading of the documents - one missed step is all it takes for things not to work locally or remotely. Once set up, you're good to go and won't have to fiddle with things anymore.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your response. I did read through the materials, but I thought that since we had a DNS server running in the office, altering the host file shouldn't be necessary.

I should say, everything appears to be working just fine, but I did notice the same anomaly the OP mentioned. When I go to troubleshoot server connection from the teamwork palette, I see three different options under the server name/ dropdown menu. One is "ourserver", the other is "ourserver.ourcompany.com", the final one is the internal IP, ie, "192.168.1.1". This troubleshooting palette defaults to "oursever" and says "Resolve DNS has failed". If you manually select either of the other two server names, all the tests pass.

My hunch is that this is nothing to worry about, but I too was concerned that something is not set up right and there will be trouble down the road. We will probably never enable remote, access, however, so I suspect we're okay.