BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Archicad/Maxwell animation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an animation I have just finished. Modelled in Archicad, rendered in Maxwell. It took about 19hrs to render on my renderfarm.

Cheers

Neil

Animation link

ps the other Maxwell animation on the site was modelled in Archicad too. I transfered it to Cinema4D so I could drop the car and hedges in.(Archicad couldn't handle the polycount )
6 REPLIES 6
Thomas Holm
Booster
Neil wrote:
Here is an animation I have just finished. Modelled in Archicad, rendered in Maxwell. It took about 19hrs to render on my renderfarm.
20 processor cores. And still 20 hours! While the result is OK, I'm not convinced it's that much better than Artlantis to justify the expense, in processors and time. If you had found a mistake, what then? Another 19 hours? For me, that would mean deadline passed long ago.

And I forgot: If you need a renderfarm, tha additional Maxwell rendernode licenses make it a lot more expensive than Artlantis. Convince me!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it was rendering in about 7mins/frame, which I think is pretty respectable, I have vray renders that take longer than that.

To be honest I have never tried Art.lantis but the animations I have seen always seem to pretty basic, there are however some stunning still images.

Does Art.lantis network render?

I bought into Maxwell when it was in beta so I got 12 licenses for the price of one!
Neil wrote:
Well it was rendering in about 7mins/frame, which I think is pretty respectable, I have vray renders that take longer than that.

......no disrespect but, if you're having Vray renders that are taking that long (or worse yet, longer than that, as you claim) and on a renderfarm with that many cores to boot, then frankly speaking, you're not using it correctly.

I assume you mean that Maxwell was rendering a single frame in 7 minutes over the whole farm and not just one machine, right?

Because normally Vray will punch out a single frame of a moderately complex scene in that amount of time (or less if you've calibrated and optimized it properly) in a single machine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to admit, I do only very, very basic rendering work as there never
seems to be the time (or the fee!).

I did find this animation that was modeled animated in ArchiCad 12 and Artlantis. The image is a bit "wispy", but that might have been the desired effect. The music makes a big difference.

Amazing piece of work for a student! Take a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDI_fb1bHb4
Anonymous
Not applicable
20 hours for 20 cores seems too much for this result!
Grass is nice, though!
Anonymous
Not applicable
It was actually 7mins/per frame per machine not using all the cores of the whole farm per image. If it had been the whole farm, I agree, it would have been far too long.

Now you can see why I said I have vray animations that take longer.

Cheers

Neil
Learn and get certified!