Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Clipping Mask on Sheets

JDR_SBDC
Booster

clipping mask wish.jpgLooking for a better solution to creating "clipping masks" than using white fills to trace around the image...

Trying to make a visual landscaping schedule with a variety of different plants, each image cropped in a circle to create a cleaner presentation 

In Adobe Illustrator for instance - you could place an image, draw a circle (or any shape for that matter), and then select both to create a clipping mask of the image that fits the circle

ArchiCAD is so close to being able to function as the ONLY software needed for creating complex models and presentations... This added feature would be a game changer

AC25 USA
Windows 11
16 GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon

This can already be done with Views placed in Layouts and with placed drawings by editing their Frame though not as easy as in AI.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 11.24.23 AM.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Clicking on the frame of an imported image only gives the pet palette options of move, rotate, mirror, and multiply

AC25 USA
Windows 11
16 GB RAM

That shouldn't be. Are you running the latest?

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 12.45.30 PM.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo,

I appreciate you taking the time. Just to clarify in the images you've posted - you brought the images into a "view" correct? And then ArchiCAD lets you edit the frame around the view...?

I can do that no problem and works as a work around - but lets say I had 100 different images I was trying to do this with... Creating a view for each image just feels like unnecessary cluttering and overpacking data into the project

However if you are saying that you can edit the frame of the imported images itself - then there is something missing in my file - perhaps its in my project preferences or work environment

AC25 USA
Windows 11
16 GB RAM
Eduardo Rolon

No problem

-

For the 100 image case, as long as they have the same clipping shape, you can use "relink" and select the new view, placed drawing, etc and it will inherit the clipping path.

--

In this case it is a DWG that I placed in a worksheet without exploding. If you use the "place drawing command" you will have the options, if you use "place figure command" you will not have the options.

FYI with "Place Drawing" you can place images also.

-

Still AI way is faster specially since it "removes" the extra shape.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon

Magic Wand almost works but you have to draw extra lines so that AC can figure out what to remove.

Clipping Mask.gif

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!