Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Convert perspective camera view to "generic perspective"

R Muller
Enthusiast
Perspectives with view selected based on a placed camera have a different icon in the navigator window than perspectives created without a camera, which are identified in the settings window as "generic perspective".

If I use a camera to create a view, is there a way to re-save this view as a generic perspective? I used cameras to copy views from one model to another, but now that I have the views I want I would like to get rid of the pesky cameras that keep showing up on my floor plans. If I simply delete the cameras, the saved camera views disappear.

I can view one camera at a time, go to plan view and delete that particular camera, and when I click on the tab for my 3D camera view it changes to a generic view. The saved camera view disappears from the navigator window. I still see the same perspective view and can save and re-name as a generic view. Then I can un-delete the camera so I will have it if needed in the future. But I have to do this separately for each of my 16 cameras.

Is there a way to select all the camera views and change them to generic perspective views?

Using AC21, but had the same issue in AC19 and AC20.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
If it is just a case of wanting to hide the cameras in plan just swap to a different camera path (create one if needed) that doesn't have any cameras.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
R Muller:

Another option is to open the Camera palette, click the Path... button, and change the Display Options to None.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
R Muller
Enthusiast
Thanks, Barry and David, for your responses.

David, your option (to set the camera Path Display Options to not display the cameras or the path) does work. I will use it.

Barry, your option (to display a path with no cameras on it) is the one I already knew about, and it does not work in this case because the camera path with the views on it keeps turning itself back on every time I click on a camera-created view.

When I save a view, the source is identified in the View Settings window, but the source field is not editable. It is either identified as <camera path name/ camera number> or as "generic perspective". I still think there should be a way to choose one or the other.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey