Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Floor Plan Cut Plane Shadows & Sun Study

EH21
Enthusiast

This question has been asked previously, but I'm wondering if there's anything new in AC27. 

Is there a way to do a sun study of the floor plan with shadows from elements above the cut plane (upper floors and roofs) taken into consideration? Currently, if you show shadows in a 3D cutaway view, it shows sunlight coming in above the walls.

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14 Sonoma

ArchiCAD: AC26, Version 4024 USA Full (Apple Silicon)
Computer: 2022 Apple M1 Max, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB memory
1 REPLY 1
Karl Ottenstein

Did you find this post:
https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Visualization/Transparent-material-casts-shadow/td-p/234654

I couldn't figure out how to get YouTube to give English subtitles to this Russian video ... but I presume it was showing how to achieve a material for the ceiling/roof that is transparent yet still casts a shadow, which is the typical way of achieving your goal.

If such a material can be created... then if a Graphic Override could apply that for you (vs manually changing materials), it would be a great solution.  Hopefully someone who has tried this will post... or you have time to experiment...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Setup info provided by author