BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

LITTLE HELP PLEASE??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys: Here's my thing.... Since I am from Mexico and haven't found any good courses for Artlantis, I found an interesting Maya course in Mexico city, but I have my doubts on the compatibility of ArchiCAD/ MAYA...

Do any of you guys have a solid advice of why I shouldn't take this course? I mean I use MAC so I can't use 3DS and I haven't found any C4D or artlantis courses...

If you guys know about some good course on ARTLANTIS, C4D over the states could you please point me in the right direction? traveling between Mexico and the States is no problem...

I really appreciate your help... and hoping you can help me since i've asked in other sites and nobody has even tried to give me a hint

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Dwight
Newcomer
A busy day for me so a quick answer for you. This question is either about you changing careers, or getting better architectural productivity.

Artlantis is simple enough so that you can make passable work in short order. It is the best choice for people who need to communicate architectural decisions quickly. I have just received the "Artlantis Missing Book" and do not recommend it, but until September when my Artlantis book arrives, it is the only choice. GET THE FULL FEATURED ARTLANTIS DEMO AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. DO NOT BE TIMID. YOU DO NOT NEED A TEACHER FOR ARTLANTIS IF YOU HAVE ANY APTITUDE AT ALL. AFTER ALL, IT IS MADE FOR ARCHITECTS. HOW MUCH APTITUDE DO YOU THINK WE HAVE? INVEST AN HOUR.

DISCOVER THE MEANING OF GLEE.

Maya is a top-end animator's product that is applicable to, but hardly optimal for architecture. It is powerful and complex. You rarely need the wet fur tool in architecture unless rendering animated Kodiak bears emerging from fetid zoo drenching pools. Or Sullivan's purple spots. If you have aptitude for this stuff, leave buildings behind and work in the movies. Take the course, find out. Test Artlantis first.

C4D is an excellent compromise because it has professional animation tools, works well with Archicad AND allows model editing unlike Artlantis, but the time you need to get really good is quite long. Material controls are at issue here, with hundreds of possible settings and a new vocabulary to learn. A few guys in Southern California offer intensive courses. Maxon has excellent tutorials. Right from the get go you are making a spinning, exploding TV logo in space. Ooo, baby!

If you are an architect - Artlantis.
Changing career? Maya. [Or, the little-known but great artistic LightWave]
Professional illustrator/peripheral architect guy? Cinema 4D or passe but still powerful Electric Image. [mac]

How is that for an answer?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight: First of all thanks for the reply. I have the full version of Artlantis Studio, I work for an american firm of architects from here in mexico. I've been telling them that I feel stuck on the realistic feeling of the views I make for the projects, that I need to get better so they told me to look for a course, since we haven't found any good artlantis course we found this maya and they saw a couple samples they are really interested on getting me to work on this software... As for my personal opinion, well I am trying to get better architectural productivity for the moment, but learning a good beter animation software would open my working field so much and who knows, if I do better at that a career change is not a bad option.... here's a sample of my work for you to see...

thanks
Dwight
Newcomer
Have a look at the new Artlantis release. There is now a useful pastel/linework like effect that can be adjusted to suit. You might also look at Adobe After Effects - like a Photoshop for movies - for producing and treating animation work.

Why i say this is since Artlantis is simple and you already have skill in it, another way to think of expanding skills for your firm is with multi-media skills - taking artlantis output and massaging it into a sophisticated presentation.

But take the Maya course. It will be fun. And if your El Gordos want to go this way AND pay for it, why complain???
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!