BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Lighting through Trees

Djordje
Ace
wr1nkles wrote:
Hey guys and girls, just wondering (particularly dwight) if anyone can tell me how to get the lined type sunlight through windows.
Venetian blinds might do the job?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you are describing volumetric lighting. Like there is mist or dust in the air. Which program? I don't think Lightworks can do that.
Dwight
Newcomer
shadow from tiny blobs on a sheet of glass?

It is hard to understand your visual idea from words. Why not experiment a little and post the results for ridicule. Or admiration.

Once you ar working with LightWorks it will be easier to get dappled shadows from leaves - divergent shadows are easy.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is volumetric, also shown is gel or stain glass effect. C4D
Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I know, you cannot do this with ArchiCAD 9 - LightWorks. This is an example from Cinema 4D. I tend to step out of ArchiCAD when I want a special rendering effect. You might want to do the same.

Visit: the ArchiCAD C4D Workflow thread here in the Presentation Area.

and download the free demo at:

http://www.maxon.net/usa/
Anonymous
Not applicable
The effect of dappled light is enabled in C4D by toggling 'Visible Light' & playing around with the options of which there are many & varied. The tree, or blinds, or window frames, or whatever else you may chose, are merely the shadow casters, & will have no effect other than the shadow cast on the ground, if your program does not support 'visible lighting'...
I've attached a test render I did awhile back, it's not exactly awe-inspiring, but it was done to try & capture a certain 'feel' I had in mind. Consequently, I've never tried it again
Anonymous
Not applicable
jp_walford wrote:
I've attached a test render I did awhile back, it's not exactly awe-inspiring, but it was done to try & capture a certain 'feel' I had in mind. Consequently, I've never tried it again
If I were driving down the road and I saw this house, I would stop. It is awe inspiring, you are dead wrong about that much. Thanks for sharing your work.

The other point is, with C4D everything is a stage. Repeating the same effect is simple the second time through. Same environment, different house.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually,
As I've done it once & rendered the effect out as separate layers in C4D, I can just drag it onto any other projects in photoshop without having to re-render... Gotta luv mult-pass rendering...
Thx for the crit Mark Keep up the HDRI tests !

Cheers,
Justin
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the example Mark B. posted, this demo shows a simple spotlight in C4D with 'visible' lighting switched on. From here, the result is two-fold. One (seen on the left) is shadows cast in the 'visible' light by the window frame. The second is to show that C4D recognises the change in light colour when shone through coloured glass, and this also appears in the 'visible' light.... tricky eh ?
If your rendering package doesn't support 'visible' lighting, then this effect is unachievable unless you can master the look by air-brush in photoshop!

Justin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Start with a new light, make sure it's a spotlight. In the lights general settings, turn shadows to soft, visible light to volumetric. Ensure volumetric lighting is ticked in your render options, and a quick render should show the visible light. Add your shadow caster(s), play around with the bits, add a floor, materials, etc... My tute skills need work, but here's a quick image I did as I was writing this !

Justin
Learn and get certified!