Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

RENDERTIME = shit in Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let me start from the beginning, when you draw a complex building with details in the next 4 months, popping the big problem up. WHY THE HELL HAVE 70 HOURS TO RENDERING A PICTURE !! A PICTURE YES! What I'm wondering is how the hell I can find a solution that makes it go faster.

Then comes the big question. Shall I sit for several days to see the topic and information by amateurs who do not have the answer and what they are talking about is not the solution or Saklas I just let your Mac on all night and hope that I'm alive the day after. (FOR YOU WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN, FIRE!)

There must be quick solutions and that is something I believe ArchiCAD must come on a stretcher. if so, explain how you can so a quick rending without having to have an image you can not see.
4 REPLIES 4
alemanda
Advocate
Keep calm ...
What are the rendering settings are you using? A good rendering at 5000x3000 might take even a couple of hours depending on the scene complexity but actually 70 hours seems too much.
Try using the preset “low quality” and check the time rendering and come back here ...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Lingwisyer
Guru
What are the specs of the computer you are rendering on?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
What size are you rendering? What are your rendering settings? How many light sources? What are the light source settings? What are the surface settings? How many polygons? How long is a piece of string....?
There are nearly limitless possible permutations that affect rendering times and results. You need to spend some time learning how to use the tools at your disposal. Once you have an understanding of the tools and what affect each setting has on the image quality and rendering time you will be able to reduce render times. As an example I was working on a library project with a graduate in our office who considered himself to be an ‘expert’ user of 3ds Max, the images he produced each took approx 30hours to render in 3ds Max and were what I would consider to be of an average quality, I could produce a larger and higher quality render directly within Archicad with a rendering time of approx 10 minutes. He was not an ‘expert’ as he really just ‘brute forced’ his images with all quality and other settings set to maximum which you can do at Uni where you may have access to a whole lab of workstations to use as a rendering farm but usually don’t have in an office.
The rendering engine within archicad can produce high quality images within reasonable rendering times if you learn the tool and have sufficient hardware. Look at the Archicad tutorials, Cinema 4d tutorials, and other tutorials such as Greyscale Gorilla and really learn the tool. For hardware look for 6+ core CPU with at least 32Gb RAM and 512Gb NVMe SSD.

Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I'm amazed people replied to this.

If you want advice or help, ask constructive questions. Ranting in caps without any information serves little purpose.

That said: some basic settings to get you started on quicker renders.

1. Choose a reasonable image size. I render 195x135 mm at 300 dpi. On a good printer this looks fine still at full size A4. I find A3 renders a waste of time and paper.
2. Start with the Fast Physical Exterior or Interior preset (depending on your scene).
3. Pick a nice sun for daytime render from the presets, make sure to leave 'Use ArchiCAD position' ticked to keep the sun direction the way it was.

This should give you a fast, decent render to start with. Start looking at detailed settings to see which options are checked / unchecked. Learn what they do from help documentation and do some tests to see how they affect render times.

Things that impact how 'good' the scene looks:
1. Global Illumination. Increasing the quality will increase render times. Don't start at max settings, work your way up from min settings until you don't see uneven dark spots
2. Transparant surfaces and their reflections. Set enough layers of transparancy to see all you need to see in your scene. Consider how many of these need reflections.

Tweak colour balance and such in a photo editor tool in seconds instead of trying to get the ultimate perfect render in one go.

I've written more detailed advice in other topics where people were polite and asked for help.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5