Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

!Restored: Align View and Lightworks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a secret to aligning to a photo, or better yet, how many secrets are there? Pro Rendering exercise works great, as well as all the learning examples, but in my photos and plans, I am not even close!

I would like to know what size the photo can be, both small and large, and if using photoshop to correct the distortion is allowed. Other than László Nagy's Introduction for version 7, I have found nothing addressing what to do when the view is not correct.

I have returned to the site to double check, and triple check measurements, and I have not found any information about how exact I need to be.

Thank you all in advance.

ArchiCAD 11 MAC and PC
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, I noticed you said a perfect photo in the view cone dialogue. Because I am a photographer, what it the perfect photo? Might as well start with the camera. I have many photos at different focal lengths, and some work better than others, but I haven't gone into looking at the length I used.
Is there ever a simple answer?
Dwight
Newcomer
The only way I have ever made Align View work with absolute perfection is as described in "Illustration in Archicad," my very first book. In placing a piece of furniture into a rendering of the surrounding room, it works if you zoom in enough to place your anchor/reference points to absolute pixel accuracy. Make a rendering of the surround room and use that image as the reference for the new rendering. It will correctly place the camera. Yay. Congratulations GS for making a tool work right, even though, like adding salt to a recipe, they do say that you must tweak the results to suit. Weasels.
Things in the real world that detract from emulating this perfection include:
1: as Karl says, any pincushion or barrel distortion - this rules out any zoom lens on an idiot camera, say. Me likem Hasselblad SWC, eh? No bulging there.
2: lack of plumbness - consult a mason - crooked pictures make it difficult to line things up.
3: supremely wide angle pictures are harder to match.
4: overlapping panoramas are impossible to match. I once had a guy send me an assembled panorama for a manual alignment without warning me that it was nonsense. Grr.
5: And more. Let me think.

The secret to aligning a photo is the ability to visualize in 3D. I can't understand why they'd make an Align View tool except that some users can't see for spit. You still need enough navigating practice to intuitively "walk" the model into place.

When i do an alignment on a blank site, I stake the site corners and mark a level. In the model, I make a matching slab. That is the easy way. Make the corners of the slab touch the marks and you are done. Except that the ground is often sloped.... can't rely on that.

Another way to do this - one that i write about in the Artlantis Attitude is to actually draw guidelines on the background photo to then drive your model into position.

Realistically, all you can hope for is plausibility. In my book "LightWorks in Archicad" there's a long article on making a model match a photo where we have both the model and professional images of the final building. Much to my horror, in the architectural photography of the actual building, the upper floors were greatly vertically stretched relative to the Archicad model - either through a crop of a wide angle picture or a lens shift. I say this to indicate that freedom from distortion is almost impossible to avoid in the real world of commercial photography. Matching those two images required use of Photoshop's warp tool, and not because we needed to meet up with the Romulans on the edge of the Neutral Zone to sign the Treaty of Algernon, who also likes flowers.

This will be an ongoing problem imposing orthographics on a spherical universe. There is no such thing as white, an a straight line.
how it goes.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
An example of what matching might need,
010.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, thank you!

Being a bubble of plumb myself, I wonder why it never occurred to me to warp the photo to match View! What a break thru! Now this is an easy button! Of course, I can warp it the other way around as well, if I am allowed to play with ArchiCAD perfection.

One burning question remains; in the dark room, do I prepare the image(s) at a specified dpi? I have played with resolution, and if I need to be VERY precise, I can only make references on a higher resolution image, using one with locators, and another for the final. No/Yes?

I wonder; are all these questions answered in your first book, "Illustration in ArchiCAD" or "LightWorks in ArchiCAD"? I think you should YOUTUBE before the the Seven Sisters become the brides to those dreaded Romulan Brothers.

My camera, should you ask; a simple Canon Digital Rebel XT with lenses from 11 mm to 300! Not the best lenses I might add, but given the choice between ArchiCAD and a Mark iii, I decided to remain a starving Architect and defer the starving photographer until after this recession.

I feel a book purchase coming on...... Hum. Illustrations in, or LightWorks in. Your suggestion?

Again Thank you.
Dwight
Newcomer
I'll be happy to sell you a LightWorks in Archicad. The first book is rather obsolete now.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know I can purchase your book!
I have six books myself, but all romantic, self indulgent, photography, poetry stuff. Are you happy with Pay Pal?

However, some questions were left in the darkroom: ideal dpi and resolution, and precision (+/- 1/10 of 1 mm?),

and now, one more;
will you autograph your book personally, or is it white line direct from POD?

Besides, I want the answer NOW, just like my kids.

What resolutions work best for you?

I have a new (2007) iMAC duo intel 2.8 with 3GB of thingys, so rendering is faster than getting a cup of coffee (tea). I haven't thought about high resolutions mostly because the end result is usually emailed, or monitor sized. However, I can do large prints.

Thanks for making this discovery fun. I feel wiser!
Dwight
Newcomer
Paypal works fine for the volume of business that i have - not enough to justify the overheads of direct payment charge cards.

Yes, I will autograph your book. Usually, i let the cat do it.

You should always work at the number of pixels you will ultimately need.

Resolution depends on output. For color images:

300 dpi for offset
150-200 for inkjet depending on your machine.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, Dwight.

It seems there are only two of us in this warpage, except I know Caitlin is watching in, aren't you.

You must be the go to guy. No one is adding stuff, so I know I am in good hands.

I will spend the next few hours seeing if I can warp this thing together. You didn't mention anything about size, so I'll assume max a 300 dpi photo 8.5 x 11, or 210 x 497 if it's North of the tippy canoe line, or over the pond. I will also assume the precision to be about as much as a Nat's Knee, and see what happens.

I, likewise, (Grr) wanted to impose this on a composite of three photos, so it will have to be done on each photo separately, then PSed together. Or, I could get out the drawing board tucked behind the printer, scissors, and rubber cement, if I can find it. Do you remember when you had to run to the copy shop?

On the printing side of life, I am setting up my books with Lightning Source, which gives me access to all the major forums for orders, and sends me a check every 30 days, or once a year depending on which flavor of starvation is eating away at me. I carry only the inventory I want, and printing happens after the order. It is in your hands within 48 hours! Now that's hyper!

HAY! This is not a commercial for them!
OK, OK.

Thanks again. I will let you know how I fair, and post results, if any!
Djordje
Ace
Did you guys try the Artlantis version of Align View? Except for the barrell effect, other imperfections (or reality ...) can be sorted out pretty easily.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen