Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Shadows in 3D Hardware Acceleration View are Glitchy

Roderick Anderson
Contributor

Hello, I've been working on a new project and part of the design is understanding the casting of shadows onto parts of the building, to optimize roof shapes and overhang extensions, etc.

I've then created several 3D views using the "colored with shadows" option of the 3D view (not sure if this is the exact name of it in ENG versions, as my Archicad version is SPA).  Interestingly, over the past couple of days as the model receives more detail and more geometry, the shadows started becoming "glitchy".  

They seem to be cast, but instead of solid areas that should be shadowed, multiple areas are triangulated, and end up being a confused mishmash of triangles in shadow and in the sun, which does not allow to properly evaluate the shadowing.

See screenshots below.

Has anyone seen this?  Any tips on how to get the shadows correct?

This won't be for presentation purposes, it's just for me to properly evaluate my design as I refine it....

Xnip2024-04-08_09-26-25.jpg

Xnip2024-04-08_09-38-42.jpg

Xnip2024-04-08_09-39-02.jpg

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14.4.1 Sonoma

   

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM SPA + CI Tools
Apple MacBook Pro M3 Max Chip 16C CPU/ 40C GPU
64GB RAM OS Sonoma 14.3
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru

Not modeled far from origin?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Roderick Anderson
Contributor

No, we always set the project origin at one of the corners of the terrain of the project we are designing. So that’s not the issue.

it may seem to be a problem that develops as you are working for hours on a project.  Yesterday I opened de file and in the views the shadows looked as they should.  I did not work long enough for the problem to come up again, but I will check tomorrow as I will have a long work session on the project if this pops it’s head again.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM SPA + CI Tools
Apple MacBook Pro M3 Max Chip 16C CPU/ 40C GPU
64GB RAM OS Sonoma 14.3
Lingwisyer
Guru

Maybe something to do with RAM optimisation? Are you capping out of your available allocation?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

How far away is the project-zero-point?  You always should place Your geometry near the zeropoint. If its far away - shift the whole project with all layers on near to it. .. 

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Botonis
Advisor

This feels that there is a 3d element misplaced far away from the origin.

Your whole project might be correctly positioned near the project origin but if a 3d

object is placed far far away (in a galaxy....) artifacts in textures or shadows may appear.

Turn everything on in the 3d window and look what is happening....!!!!

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

Setup info provided by author