BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Spotlight noise

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I am trying to achieve a spotlight effect such as below.

I can get the noise to work with the general light spot, however I can't manage to show the start of the beam as a circle. The beam just goes on to 0 diameter at the start.

How can I achieve this look?

I've tried the area light, but it doesn't have the noise option.

Appologies if I've used wrong names for the light objects, I'm using the Dutch localisation of ArchiCAD 18.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
5 REPLIES 5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
To further clarify, the image is taken directly from the archicad help page.

I was hoping whoever made that, could shed some light (pun-tastic) on the process.

I did contact the local reseller (Kubus) about it as well.

Perhaps one of our experienced cinema 4d gurus has an idea as well (no idea how the light objects relate to cinema 4d settings).
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
In the Lamp Tool Settings, under "General Light Sources" folder of your library, select any of these lights and in the "Light Settings" panel, from the popup choose "Effects".

There are "Visible Light" and "Noise" effects you can try using.

In the rendering settings palette, depending on if you're using Simple or Detailed settings, make sure that the lights are taken into consideration. If using Simple Settings, there is a slider with a lamp icon, just make sure this is not OFF. If using Detailed settings, then make sure under "Light Adjustments" that lamps is ON.

I hope that help at least partly.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Hi James,

Thanks for offering some help!

I did get the noise effect to work (maybe I didn't phrase that clearly, sorry!)

I just don't understand how to end the cone-shape with a cut off disc to mock up the shape of the lamp fixture.

See below for my results.

Edit: to further explain the 'problem', I have a model for a stage-spotlight that obviously has quite a diameter disc shaped end, the general light beam thing ends in 0 diameter, so the look doesn't add up. The beam should end with a similar diameter as the end of the fixture (hope this makes sense!)

I can fake the disc with a glowing surface, perhaps, but the beam is still too narrow at the end.
beam_noise.jpg
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
To make the light not start at a point, choose Effects > Clipping, and change the Near Clip (Light Starts).

As for the illuminated disc at the start, I'm not sure how that was done. As you suggest, maybe try an illuminated Surface applied to a Morph plane.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Thanks, I'm having more luck with clipping, allthough it would be easier to just set a diameter, rather than figuring out the distance of the clip. Especially as it seems to end in a slightly dome shaped thing (the hotspot for the clip point does not correspond with the final disc shape ).

It takes a bit of manual adjusting and eyeballing, but I can get it to work!
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!