BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

TWINMOTION - Lessons Learned So Far

scom570
Contributor
Equipment Upgrades
I had to upgrade my videocard. Now have GeForce GTX 1070 ti.
I also had to upgrade my UPS because the draw of this card is enormous.

Impressions of Software
Very very strange interface - think Fusion 360 but with strange pictograms.
Takes some futzing around to get fast.
Stock library is very limiting. I am working through what to do now.
Stock backgrounds are not really what I need. Attempting to create my own.

Impression of Results
After 4 hours of working in it - WOW. Get a good video card and crank up the resolution - it is amazing.
Why are so many of the people talking on their cell phones when they should be watching out for cars. LOL
Very fast and useful for video. I can create a decent fly through and render it in 10 minutes.
The weather changes are very interesting. If your materials are accurate you can get a good sense of how the material behaves in different lighting conditions.

Problems
I have had some issues when TM is not running and then you try to link thru AC. Start TM before attempting a link to solve this - probably a memory issue. Syncing never takes more than 15 sec.

I have one model and sometimes when I sync, the TM file forgets the material substitutions. Still trying to figure this out. For an interior design project, you will need to create discreet materials for each different surface. Although you can substitute individual object materials, it is easier to do it globally.

I have a 360 camera that I use to take site context photos. I did find a way of dragging it into the context sphere that the model sits in but it is difficult to scale, position and just is wonky.

I cannot seem to scale the fire object so I can get it into a fireplace.
1 REPLY 1
scom570
Contributor

It's 2021 now.  Just upgraded my PC to Dell XPS 8940.  i7-11700K, 32GB, 1TB NVMe, Nvidia RTX 3070.  Generating renders and videos very fast now.  TM has improved their people a lot but they still spend a lot of time on their cell phones.  One improvement they could make is to let us move lights around with the arrow keys.  The issue of the video slowing down A LOT when you make a 180 degree turn persists.  This did not happen in TM2019.  Syncing has changed - now done through a Datasmith Link.  Quixel Megascans are nice but still geared decidedly towards game developers.

Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!