BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Translucent / frosted Glazing ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I want to create a partitioning wall in a reaustraunt. I think that a glass wall will be a good choice but I don't want the glazing to be transparent for obvious reasons.

How can I make the glass translucent or ' frosted ' similar to the image below ( not my image )

Thank You
15 REPLIES 15
Dwight
Newcomer
Apply an image of tiny white dots as a texture with the interstices between the dots masked transparent.

The dots confuse the rendering engine to produce translucence.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Apply an image of tiny white dots as a texture with the interstices between the dots masked transparent.

The dots confuse the rendering engine to produce translucence.
What do I apply the texture to ?

Thank You
Dwight
Newcomer
the glass.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Following your instructions, here's what I got...

As you can see it isn't translucent but I did select the option in material attributes... unless it is the image I have used.
Dwight
Newcomer
"Masking" means creating an alpha channel in Photoshop to create transparency in Archicad.

The easiest way:

In photoshop, select the dots and apply a Quick Mask.

Saved as a tiff or PSD, the masked part of the image is told to be transparent in the material dialog.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, Still not sure if it is right.

It does seem to be slightly more translucent in the photorender projection ( if this is where the texture alters the render ) in normal 3D it is just dots.

I appreciate your help on this.
Dwight
Newcomer
Show me screen captures of:

• material settings in the internal engine

• the four channels of your dots image.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
The dots image is a greyscale...

Here's how I did it:

Converted the dots image from Bitmap to Grayscale ( using a 25% grey, changing the frequency, angle and shape.

Duplicated he Background layer - The background layer cannot be transparent, so I created an new layer that can support transparency. I then deleted the first background layer, keeping the duplicate

New top layer selected, > Add Layer Mask

Option-clicked on the mask icon

Go to Image > Apply Image and apply the Layer image onto the Mask...

Clicked back on your Layer icon in the Layer palette. The dots should now show transparency (checkerboard pattern) in the background area.

Filled the Layer with White so that I have white dots on a transparent background.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Material settings

Thank You
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!