BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.
SOLVED!

Viewcube in Archicad

13senpai
Contributor

Does Archicad have something like a "viewcube" from Revit?

View_Cube_0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@13senpai 

Maybe you'll find the Navigator Preview useful.  Windows >Palettes enable it... and optionally dock it to your Navigator palette or wherever on-screen.

When in axometric mode (non perspective) you'll see this:

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 9.43.16 PM.jpg

Just drag the tiny camera icon around the circle to rotate your model in the 3D window to the desired position.   Assuming North is the top of your workspace, then the screenshot shows a view from the south/front.

The two flyout menus (">" buttons) give you more options... e.g., Top view:

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 9.46.33 PM.jpg

When in perspective mode, the Nav Preview has a different appearance and options.

PS  The Revit viewcube graphic is certainly attractive and intuitive.  So, perhaps if you have a wish for more functionality than the Nav Preview you might wish for improvements to Nav Preview similar to that...  in the "Wishes" forum.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

We have Project and User Origins that show the X, Y & Z axii.

BarryKelly_0-1689122177712.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

I am guessing they are wanting the quick orbit functionality of the View Cube where you can click on a face or vertex to rotate to that view. If that is the case, this should be made a Wish.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

In that case we have 'Look to Face' which can look perpendicular to any face in the 3D model, not just the six sides of a cube.

BarryKelly_0-1689126192450.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yea, exactly.

Revit's viewcube is very useful because you can just click a corner of the cube and then the 3D view aligns to that corner. Very handy if you want to make an axonometric view.

Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@13senpai 

Maybe you'll find the Navigator Preview useful.  Windows >Palettes enable it... and optionally dock it to your Navigator palette or wherever on-screen.

When in axometric mode (non perspective) you'll see this:

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 9.43.16 PM.jpg

Just drag the tiny camera icon around the circle to rotate your model in the 3D window to the desired position.   Assuming North is the top of your workspace, then the screenshot shows a view from the south/front.

The two flyout menus (">" buttons) give you more options... e.g., Top view:

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 9.46.33 PM.jpg

When in perspective mode, the Nav Preview has a different appearance and options.

PS  The Revit viewcube graphic is certainly attractive and intuitive.  So, perhaps if you have a wish for more functionality than the Nav Preview you might wish for improvements to Nav Preview similar to that...  in the "Wishes" forum.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Thanks Karl, so many gems buried in the interface that are easily forgotten unless you use them regularly! I need to dust that one off. 😎

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!