Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Our Community
Ask questions about this community, the platform, and any technical questions.

Quote Functionality

Lingwisyer
Guru

Hi all,

I have found this new forum's quote functionality severely lacking to the extent that I wonder why it even exists...

How do you add quotes from multiple people?

The quote button only seems to add the post of the person you are replying to. My guess is that this is limited due to the Threaded Layout as if you are quoting multiple people, it should be done in each replies thread, though why quote in the first place... Redundant or the bare minimum...

How do you do partial quotes?

The added quote is also in it's entirety which when it comes to some posts can be excessive resulting in you needing to manually clip the quote extents to keep things concise. In the old forum, you could highlight part of a post before hitting the quote button and it would only quote the highlighted part.

How do you end quote?

A few times I have started a reply with a quote, being excessive, followed that up with some culling, only to find that once I have done that, I am unable to move down out of the quote box due to the lack of a new line after the quote. Somehow though, moving up a line in whatever way creates a carriage return at the end which is rather unintuitive...

Along the same lines, since you cannot just </quote><quote> anywhere, if you for example wanted to quote the first part of this post, type a reply, then quote one of the How to you would have to quote, cull, reply, quote, cull, reply. I believe that this also spams the users notifications... In a couple of my own replies, I have resorted to copy pasting text which I then indent and italicise...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
8 REPLIES 8
Lingwisyer
Guru

Has anything in the forum changed over the last three months? Or is it still as lacking as before?

@Lingwisyer wrote:

Has anything in the forum changed over the last three months? Or is it still as lacking as before?

No, there is no change.

The quote will be the entire post you are responding to.

If you edit it, just be sure not to delete the last carriage return at the end of the quote.

There seems to be no way to put it back in once you do as you are simply add in the the quote if you try.

I tend to add a few carriage returns (enter), then move back up to the first line before pressing the quote button.

@Lingwisyer wrote:

How do you add quotes from multiple people?

To quote from previous posts, I have resorted to copy & paste and change the font colour.

If you want I guess you can add the '@ name' tag, but the user will get an e-mail about that - not sure they do if it is a quote.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Still no change on this front...

No.

The quote button still quotes the entire post, so you have to edit.

To quote multiple posts, you can open them in a new browser tab, reply to them, quote, then copy and paste to the message you are composing.

Cancel the extra posts, so you do not actually reply to them.

Still easier to just copy and paste from other messages.

You can tag a users name to the beginning of the paste ( @Lingwisyer ) but you can't change it into a quote - unless there is some HTML magic that can do that.

There probably is, but you need to know what to type for the code.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru

<blockquote>Unless there is some HTML magic that can do that</blockquote>

Nor any other front

@Lingwisyer wrote:

<blockquote cite=Barry>Unless there is some HTML magic that can do that</blockquote>

Wrong sort of magic?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

<blockquote>&nbsp;Right sort of magic</blockquote>

@Barry Kelly whispered:
Right sort of magic

Forgot there was a button in the text editor labelled "HTML", so youhave to input it into the HTML tab... <i>Not like the old forum</i> in which you could type it straight inline.

Still, not a solution, but it does give you a way to make quotes look consistent.

Ling.