BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

An Archicad version between SE & Full please ?

mthd
Ace

Hi, I would like to see a fully workable version of Archicad created, somewhere between the start version and the full commercial version if possible ?

The start version is missing some essentials needed for small firms, like full photorealistic rendering and sketch rendering that they would absolutely need.

It would be good if it was specifically organized for low rise residential firms in either Architecture or Interior Designing.

I think some of the tools in the full version would also be applicable for an in between version as well ?

What do others who work in these fields mentioned above, think should be included as essentials ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
9 REPLIES 9
DGSketcher
Legend

I would be happy to see a version of Archicad free of structural & other advanced multidisciplinary features. I would think with rendering & basic MEP for drains & MVHR it would meet the demands of a lot more smaller practices where currently Solo/SE isn't good enough.

Maybe if GS maintain their multidisciplinary behemoth strategy then their entry level product may see an upgrade. I'm not sure there is scope for three levels of Archicad.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Have you actually had a look at the Solo Version? Been using it for years and as it doesn't have a Render or Teamwork but everything else it's a very good option. If you are that reliant on rendering most people nowadays use Twinmotion, Enscape or Artlantis. I never used a render in the full version just the normal 3D window and it is the same in the Solo version. Half the price as well.

Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,

I did look at it but there were other things missing at the time that put me off. DWG was one of the issues if iirc. I know GS would love to see users upgrade to Full out of necessity, but they may also be loosing customers to other solutions that are better equipped. You are probably in a better place to comment as I see you are running Vectorworks as well.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
mthd
Ace

Thank you for your replies and comments, I agree that there could be more features included into a version of Archicad that truly fits the needs of many a small practice.

I do believe that there could very easily be scope for another version of Archicad.

There will be no “accepting as solution” in this post until they address this serious gap between the start version and the full version of Archicad.

I get it that they would like new users to go from SE to Full. SE is really a teaser version to get others to go full.

My point is that if there was an Archicad intermediate version that it would help many of us no to be funding things we will simply never use and that are way out of our scope of work.

I definitely wouldn’t drop back to SE after using the full version features that I actually will use.

I understand that they have to care for the companies that do the high rise big commercial jobs.

My group of workers have different needs and wants.

I think it would greatly be in the interests of all users to not have one size that fits all or one child’s size and one 4XL size. 

One middle sized product with a team of software developers focusing on that version and giving all the improvements to full version as well.

That way you will keep more users happy and not have them divert to other CAD solutions.

My hopes and wishes for users in similar fields to me.

Barry Kelly

Ideally there could be a 'minimal' version of Archicad, and then we could purchase additional licenses for all the bits we want to add on.

It works like this for some things now.

EcoDesigner Star is a purchased add-on.

MEP used to be (but is now included).

And there are many 3rd party add-ons and libraries that can be purchased.

Cinerender could be a paid add-on.

So could structural analysys.

Maybe even DXF/DWG import/export, renovation filters, hotlinking, and other features could be a purchased add-on.

That way, Archicad users could mix and match and get exactly the software they want  and paying only for what they need.

I have no ideal if it would actually work or how difficult/messy it may become.

Especially when it comes to sharing files between users that all have different setups.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Hi Barry, it doesn’t have to be messy or difficult to work out what a small practice actually needs and uses ?

I think those things you mentioned above could mostly be necessities apart from 3D structural analysis or MEP or even EcoStar, in an intermediate version at least ?

I have noticed the SE versions have been steadily including more features over time.

I am hoping that those from smaller practices can post here what they think would be essential in an intermediate version of Archicad.

Thank you for your input.

@Brett Brown wrote:

Have you actually had a look at the Solo Version? Been using it for years and as it doesn't have a Render or Teamwork but everything else it's a very good option.

+1

If you have Start Edition I think that was much more limited than Solo

OK there's no advanced render option but I think Cinerender is so clunky I wouldn't use it even if it was available

Haven't tried the Redshift integration though

If you need an advanced render option for Solo, Octane is great.  And there are options for real time too if you prefer speed over quality/accuracy

edit:

disclaimer - my main use for AC is design, not documents

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
mthd
Ace

The Solo version was available in England but not in Australia. I am not sure what other countries have access to the Solo version these days ?

Could potentially provide a basis for a better option than SE ?

Having to also invest in a reasonable render engine may put some off ?

Do you have a comparison matrix to post here to compare Solo with SE or AC full ?

Hi BB, I did enquire about the Solo version many years ago and I think if it could be made available around the whole world, many of us could be quite satisfied with it ? It would also be good if they could also include the render engines and Xrefs as well in a Solo version ? I could go without the Hotlink Modules though ? We all have different needs though ?

It must also have it’s own dedicated software development team to help us get real value for our subscriptions for a Solo plus version.

Currently Archicad is just a bit too big with 3D collaboration for me at present but others need those functions and that’s good for a full commercial version and for it to grow in that direction as well.

I know that in the past and maybe still to this day they may have 2 teams working on developing the software, one on AC27 and another on AC28 ? I think it would be wise and in the best interests of all users, for one team to focus on AC full commercial with all its 3D collaboration add ons etc and another team to focus on and develop AC essential functions ?

I hope they listen carefully to this because we don’t really want a mass exodus to Revit as that is exactly what has happened in the past and will continue to happen.

The only thing I like about Revit is the user friendly way you can easily draw walls like you can in Chief Architect that I also have used in the past.

Revit is a good program if you were Autocad schooled and don’t want to learn Archicad.

For us who have been around for long while, Revit is basically an add on for Autocad or AP design as the forunner was once called.

Autocad is just the base engine for Revit with its endless array of complicated add ons.

I just want a simple focused version of Archicad without having to pay for the high end bells and whistles that I may never use ?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Archicad Solo has everything in the Full version except Teamwork, Cinema 4D rendering engine and Hotlink/X-ref capabilities. And as said elsewhere, it is only available in certain countries. Graphisoft is ripping off users in many countries around the world where they won't supply Solo. I asked many times in NZ but they kept refusing so I just brought a UK license from NZ a few years ago and was allowed to do so, but knowing Graphisoft and their fantastic concerns for customers, I doubt you can anymore.

Re Vectorworks, it doesn't stack up to Archicad. I bought it second-hand and can sell it on without any fees to do so. Yet another example of where Graphisoft's customer relations are woeful where we can't sell our assets.

Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Learn and get certified!