BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Archicad 26 US ERROR: W Ribbon 26: Panes Number Horizontal / Vertical

isaacjpu
Booster

Just noticed an error: W Ribbon 26 > Window Settings > Sash Style: H-V Grid. The labels "Horizontal" and "Vertical" under Panes Number are incorrect: "Horizontal" refers to the vertical number of panes, and vice-versa.

Note this is not counting muntins -- each number would be 1 less if that were the case.

Screenshot for reference:

isaacjpu_0-1677262147069.png

...Right? This has me questioning my understanding of horizontal and vertical.... 😰

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

I do agree that the naming sparks confusion. "Rows" and "Columns" would have been much clearer. There is no equivalent in the German library for the Ribbon Window, so heres a "Eingangstür" (entrance door) with a H-V grid:

grafik.png

Interestingly it asks for the number of sashs (!) not panes, which makes it already much clearer.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

View solution in original post

Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

A Cartesian approach makes more sense to me and is the general convention. I think QA missed this, as what is shown in the UKI version is correct...

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 23.17.10.png 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
runxel
Legend

@isaacjpu wrote:

The labels "Horizontal" and "Vertical" under Panes Number are incorrect: "Horizontal" refers to the vertical number of panes, and vice-versa.

...Right? This has me questioning my understanding of horizontal and vertical.... 😰

runxel_0-1677272687570.jpeg

For me this is in fact perfectly fine. There are 4 panes in your example, that are horizontally divided.

This is much less confusing than to say that – in your words – horizontal would mean vertical panes....

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |

@runxel wrote

There are 4 panes in your example, that are horizontally divided.

isaacjpu_1-1677277716204.png

and arranged vertically.

So 4 isn't referencing the number of panes in the vertical direction, but the number of resultant panes after 3 = ( - 1 ) horizontal divisions; or rows.

4 rows of panes; 2 columns. Rows are horizontal, but if you count the number of rows, you are counting vertically. I agree that there are 4 rows of panes, but is that really the same as the number of "horizontal panes?"

I now see how this is debatable. I was attributing "horizontal" to the numeric value of x in a cartesian coordinate system. ( 2 , 4 ) in this example. "Count 2 panes over, 4 panes up."

I'm very curious what this window looks like in other languages. Thanks for taking the time, @runxel !

Solution

I do agree that the naming sparks confusion. "Rows" and "Columns" would have been much clearer. There is no equivalent in the German library for the Ribbon Window, so heres a "Eingangstür" (entrance door) with a H-V grid:

grafik.png

Interestingly it asks for the number of sashs (!) not panes, which makes it already much clearer.

I agree with @isaacjpu. All of the other sash option within all of the other windows and doors (at thrash in the UKI) version are labelled as horizontal meaning the number of horizontal panels of glass split by mullions so if there is one million there will be 2 panes horizontally. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

A Cartesian approach makes more sense to me and is the general convention. I think QA missed this, as what is shown in the UKI version is correct...

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 23.17.10.png 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

@Lee Hankins @DGSketcher 

And if i might push this a little further, it's odd that vertical is listed before horizontal in the UKI version, isn't it?

( x , y ), not ( y , x ), right?

Do you hear that Graphisoft? Error bounty, please 😜

Learn and get certified!