Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Archicad for Future

snow
Mentor
Hello to everyone,

during the next few years there is the aim (at least in the western civilization) to reduce the CO2 pollution tremendously, and also to save resources... because some seem to be depleted soon, like sand.

For the building sector that will mean, that there are thousands of buildings to renovate, insulate, modify instead of demolish and build new... and moreover, that materials like wood will have a far greater significance in construction. They will soon often be used instead of concrete and brickwork.

I'd like to have a CAD-program that can support planning in an excellent way with all these things, looking ahead and contributing to shaping our future.

This is why I am posting this small collection of issues in Archicad, which in my opinion are of great significance considering the concerns above.
(some of the Issues may have been posted already here, but I'd like to show them in the context mentioned above.)

1. NEW SKINS FOR EXISTING ELEMEMTS

Left, what we have now, in the mid, aside of new insulation, the display if just the window element get excanged, left, of there is a new opening, (currently we don't get a colored fill in sections like in ground floor plan)

If it was just possible to overwrite a building material, no matter which subelement it was, we could control at least the display of e.g. new materials, just using the GO…
(… as long as there is no bigger update for the renovation filter)

2. WALL CLOSURE FOR LINTEL AND PARAPET
The issue is shown also in the screenshots above. With almost every renovation we've to deal with insulation (and possibly its finish in this area)

3. DISTINCTION BETWEEN CUT AND UNCUT LINES IN ’GO’
Also seen in images:
- Cut elements: The fill changes it's color, the edges remaining
- Uncut Elements: Only the color of the lines change, the cover fill remains

4. ELEMENTS TO BE DEMOLISHED IN "TRANSPARENT HIDDEN LINE MODE" in ELEVATION

We can have this (simple building with walls and roof):

but we should have this

5. WALL INTERSECTIONS WITH RENOVATION / SLOPED ENDS / FINISH ON CERTAIN PLACES
There may be often "complicated" situations at such points. The intersection is needed e.g. for showing only the existing elements, generally with every not 90°-connection and for zone defining. It was helpful, if wall ends, with its intersections and slopes could be modified more freely.
… and often, even at older buildings there are elements like walls and beams with sloped ends in top-view without intersection of an other one… or typically here on the countrysides, two sided sloped ends of rafts (Yes there are workarounds to build such ends in Archicad, but I think there should be a simpler way to get such results…)

Existing:

E/D/N standard Now

How it should be:

Free wall ends – left, how it is now, mid and right, how it should be in (near) future
(Aside of the display it is always difficult to analyze the amount of outside finish in such situations, because there are "three outsides" of the one wall there.)

For insets there seem to be no finish available… and no floor can be in there IF I want to keep the dynamic that enables to switch between the display of

a) 'with finish' AND stopping the floor before it… and…
b) 'without finish' AND the floor running until the bare brickwork

Some sloped ends are possible with segments but the handling is everything else than easy and here the beam end loses it s texture (cross cut wood) while sloping it

6. WOOD – PREVENTING OF MERGING
I think the separator of the elements should always be shown. (Setting '0' for intersection doesn't solve the problem in elevations and we need it in case of „not 90°- connections .)
To achieve this, there must be used many "same different" building materials with different named surfaces – a lot of work.

Here are to examples, the first image what we have now, the second how it should be

7. WOOD – WALL INTERSECTION
On the left, what we have, on the right what we need.

We should be able to control freely which skin runs through, not only based on the intersection priority, We can not change every time composite / material to get the intersection how it is needed. It could be on every corner, and every connection differently.
(We see here another problem: It seems to be almost impossible to use a hatch that really fits to the skin of a composite-element, here it should display the skins of a CLT-Element correctly)

In top view we want to see the skins and there has also to be the separater line between the surfaces there.

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10
5 REPLIES 5
daviiiiidave
Advocate
+1 +1 +1

ARCHICAD 19-25, Student & Full Archicard, CI Tools, Germany
Mifcom Renderbox AMD Ryzen 9 5900X GeForce RTX 3070 TI 32GB RAM 980 PRO SSD Win10
Thinkpad P52 4K i7 8850H NVIDIA Quadro P3200 (6 GB) 32 GB RAM SSD Win10 Pro

bouhmidage
Advisor
This is interesting !
In other words, reworking the renovation filter.
I'm working on a renovation project, and i faced a lot of theese situations.
Workarounds can do the job, but you loose the power of "automated tasks" and construction logics at a certain level, especially when you try to modify something aftee you finish the whole project, or when making complex take offs
I vote + 100
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
henryL
Enthusiast
Very interesting !
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Very interesting indeed.
I have added a poll so you guys can vote now.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
conmes
Enthusiast
+1 +1 +1
ARCHICAD 13 - 24 | Twin 2016 - 2018 V2 | Twin 2019 - 2021 | Win10 64-Bit, 3,4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 32 GB | 13" MacbookPro, 3,1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB

http://www.conmes.de