Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Assign classifications to a label

gdford
Advisor
If labels could be assigned classifications then auto text could be used in the label to display the classification assigned to that label. Having done this classifications can be used as a single source for generating notes not related to an object. object
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
17 REPLIES 17
Eduardo Rolon
I don't think that would be a good idea nor needed.
Labels should read the information from the element since this element should be exportable to IFC. If somehow you can't pull the info from the correct object then place a Dummy object (LOD 100 geometry) and pull the info from it. This would also have the benefit of showing up in schedules.

PS.
Labels should never be "Static".
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

gdford
Advisor
I currently use a dummy note object.
Yes they schedule which is great for a note Key Legend... Of course if labels were a real object they would also schedule and I would not have placeholder objects floating are the project. Not everything in a project is modeled, but often a label is needed to explain a level of detail that will never be modeled. Dumb labels are really a bad idea!
Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Professor Pickle
Advocate
This is already possible, at least in AC22. There are a variety of ways in which you can get at the classification data from labels. One is to use the Categories & Properties label object. Another is to create some properties based on expressions.

What would be really useful is if we could get to the Description attribute of a classification item. Alas, currently it is only possible to access the ID and the Name attributes.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

gdford
Advisor
Thanks for the response, but i was not clear in my post.
My point was that 3d objects have then ability to have classifications and properties attached so to provide data for labeling via autotext and schedules. This is of course exactly what we want to do with BIM.
However not everything is modeled in 3d. 2D drafting objects are used to tell the stories of the things that we need to show but are not modeling, but these drafting objects do not allow for the attachment of properties and classifications. If the 2d objects could have properties and classifications - such as the Label Objects, then we could manage project notes in a data base instead of just placing a dumb note. CadImage Keynotes is a good example of this. Dumb notes that can be managed in a database......
Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Professor Pickle
Advocate
I see what you mean. Yes, dumb 2D objects such as fills and lines do not have many properties. In Revit some types of these objects can have some useful properties associated with them. But even more powerful is Revit's "detail family" system where you can simply draw any 2D thing and classify it. You can then use these detail families anywhere where you can place/draw 2D elements. The advantages are numerous:

- these are no longer dumb objects
- you can draw them yourself and even make them parametric
- you can build up a library of commonly used 2D elements, which have been fully classified/annotated and simply place them where you need them

It would be great if ArchiCAD had a similar feature. Like you say, not everything has to be 3D all the time.

By the way, you might want to consider changing the title of this post/wish to something like "Add ability to classify 2D objects" or something more descriptive.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

Professor Pickle
Advocate
I've just run into a problem that I though I was going to solve in an elegant fashion alas my efforts have been cut short by lack of functionality. I was trying to create a schedule of all labels that have the text "TODO" in them. Wouldn't it be great if you could do that? You could then click on a row in the schedule and quickly navigate to the object it is linked to. It would be a great way for iteratively refining annotations.

Unfortunately it is not possible to schedule label object in ArchiCAD.

Barry Kelly
Tomek wrote:
Unfortunately it is not possible to schedule label object in ArchiCAD.
No, because a label is annotation and it gets its information from the object it is attached to.
So you put the "TODO" property in the element and schedule the elements.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Professor Pickle
Advocate
Yes, I understand that. But I don't want to do it that way. Say I have a timber beam that is structurally well defined but I don't know how it will be finished. I'd like to have the flexibility to say in the lablel "finish TBC".
I'm not an agreeable or reasonable person 😉

Barry Kelly
I would create a surface material or building material called "TBC" or I would use the already included "General" surface material.
Then I would label that.
Later when you decide what the finish should be - update the element and the label will update automatically.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11