Wishes forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Material Plan & Section cut fills to be seperate

Michael Watson
Newcomer
Add an additional cut fill option when creating new building materials.

This feature would give us more control over how we draft.
I have set up a brick cut fill that reads as bricks should for a 1:50 or larger section, which has been saving me time in making sure that my levels, windows etc are set up to brick-scale.
HOWEVER
This does cause major issues for my walls in plan (as they are now reading the fill I set up for sections)
I am using a graphic overide on the plans to fix the cut fill, however, the graphic overide changes the entire walls hatch, not just the selected building material.

Adding a feature that allows you to set up a separate hatch for plan and section would allow for way more control over drafting.

(allowing graphic overides to effect only specific building materials, rather than the entire element that contains the building material would also be greatly appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

Eduardo Rolon
You can use GOs to do this without much trouble right now. Though it would simplify things having the extra setting in BMats.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

gdford
Contributor
Graphic Overrides will not override a building material fill in a single skin of a composite wall or slab in plan or section. This would be a really nice feature!

It would also be really helpful if the building material name of a single skin in a composite wall or slab could be drilled down to in auto-text. At the very least the list of building materials used in a composite should be available as a "string" so it can be parsed with a property expression.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-25
Win 10 - ASUSTeK Zephyrus M GU502GV - 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz
16.0 GB ram

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I actually like this idea, the ability to define a Floor Plan Cut Fill AND a Section Cut Fill for Building Materials. I remember users have had problems with that in the past.
Also, if this is implemented for Building Materials, then it will become available as a feature for all element types, not only for Walls (to which it is applicable).
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

moholland
Newcomer
Yes! This would be incredibly helpful! At the very least, it would be nice if you could override the fills, by CORE, FINISH & OTHER, which I think would help your situation easily. But having the option of defining a separate section and plan cut material would be infinitely more powerful. I’m new to AC... how do we get them to add this feature??? Wishlist? Do they ever implement user feedback?

-Matt

Braza
Newcomer
+1

It would also allow for more accurate detailed sections. Where we could set a fill for the cut material.

p.s.: I first voted important, but thinking better I would like to make it essential. Please make that available the change of vote in the Polls Options?
Paulo Henrique Santos, Architect
AC24_INT#3008 / I7 / 16Gb / 512Mb SSD / Windows 10

DGSketcher
Advisor
LaszloNagy wrote:
I actually like this idea, the ability to define a Floor Plan Cut Fill AND a Section Cut Fill for Building Materials. I remember users have had problems with that in the past.
Also, if this is implemented for Building Materials, then it will become available as a feature for all element types, not only for Walls (to which it is applicable).
+1 as it would really help in live details and composite / complex profiles
Apple iMac macOS Big Sur / AC24UKI (most recent builds)

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
moholland wrote:
I’m new to AC... how do we get them to add this feature??? Wishlist? Do they ever implement user feedback?

-Matt

The forum software does not make it possible to change an already placed vote.
....................................................................................................

Braza
Newcomer
Hi Laszlo,

I think the new version can.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Oops, you are right, I was not aware of that option.
I activated it so you can change your vote now.

Braza
Newcomer
Thanks Laszlo! Done.

godi
Newcomer
I have just entered that forum to write just near the same wish, but I think each material should have 3 different fills: front, section and plan, and only let in surface settings the option to override the predefined material front fill with a custom one.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What is a front fill?

godi
Newcomer
Sorry for the year delay 🙂

A brick wall 3 fills, as I think every material should be able to have:

Barry Kelly
godi wrote:
A brick wall 3 fills, as I think every material should be able to have:

The front is already separate.
That is controlled by the fill attached to the surface that you apply.

A wall can have 3 different surfaces - front, back and edges.
I guess it would be nice to have the edge surfaces split so top/bottom can be controlled separately to the sides, but Archicad does a fairly good job at wrapping the surfaces in the correct direction.

Beams already have 5 surfaces and slabs can have individual edges overridden.
It would be nice to have consistency among all elements.

But now I am going off topic from the original question about fills.
Yes, it would be great if plan and section fills could be different.
Surface fills we already have separate (but slightly limited) control over them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

godi
Newcomer
Front and back of a wall would be the same most of the time, but all edges aren't, as in my brick example, or in a plasterboard.

Braza
Newcomer
I still think this is essential. Its a pity we have all the benefits of priority based intersections and still missing a proper BM 3d visualization.
Yes. Total control of surface within elements would be very difficult to implement, as many elements doesn't have total control of it, like walls only have one surface for all edges. But I would be happy if we could at least have control over BM sectioned fills and surfaces (Of course with a proper fill orientation for sections. Because currently "fit to skin" only works for plan view ). A suggestion for UI implementation could be like this:

gdford
Contributor
I am certainly on board with this, but to be honest i think there are a few fundamental issues that still need to be resolved in the basic Building Material.
Clearly Building Materials are becoming the core data point for elements in archicad. The most frustrating issue if have had with building materials since day one, has been having access to the building material data via schedules and autotext (or factory supplied special labels)... Now this has been getting better... For a while now we have been able to schedule a building materials ID, Name, Description, (and other items), and recently we can add a classification to each building material. This is great. Ultimately all of the building material data (including the intersection priority value), needs to be accessible via schedule Criteria and Data Fields as well as Autotext. Schedules do not have complete control of a building materials classification for use as a Criteria to filter the results of the schedule. This is important as ultimately, it is classifications that describe every item in a construction project. Getting schedules and labels to be accessing the same building material data and classification is super super important as we advance along the path of better BIM.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-25
Win 10 - ASUSTeK Zephyrus M GU502GV - 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz
16.0 GB ram

Braza
Newcomer
Yes Gary. Data extraction from BM is surely more important.
I don't deal much with quantifications, but I understand that working around data access limitations must be way harder than graphical ones.
As I said, I am not a quantities/data expert, but I am starting to see some conflict between BM and Elements properties, as many elements are composed by different BM's and there may be the cause of those AC limitations that you are referring. Perhaps there would be some differentiation between BM and Element properties and classification.
And yes. BM's has so much potential in this new "Digital Twin" AEC approach.
Cheers,

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!