Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Create a Layout by Move Copy

gdford
Advisor

In the Layout Manager when we create a layout by doing a move Copy - The new layout should be the one active, not the layout the copy way created from.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

This is an interesting one because it is hard to say which operating method would be preferred by most users. You prefer this but others may prefer the way it currently works.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Well it seems to me that if i go to the trouble to create a new layout, then the next thing i would need to do is to name the new layout, otherwise why am i creating a new layout. When the original layout that was selected to make the copy from remains selected, then i inevitably change the name of the original layout. I personally cannot imagine any reason for the original layout to remain selected, but I am open to comments.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Karl Ottenstein

I have to agree with Gary that this is a UX consistency bug.  Everywhere else in Archicad that I can see, if you drag a copy - elements, View Map entries, etc ... the copy is what is highlighted/selected in the end.  This is also the way Windows File Explorer works.  The only place I found (in a quick check) where the original is selected after a drag-a-copy operation is MacOS Finder.

Even without the other examples, all tabs in Navigator should behave the same IMHO... if View Map selects the copy, then so should Layout Book.

Consistency should be paramount in the UX IMHO.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB