Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Grouping to make an instance (component).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now Grouping is only for helping to hold object together, and for easy selecting. But it would be magic if Grouping to be able to create an instance! Like Components in Sketchup or instances in 3d max. So, if i model something by morph, copies of it can be modified by edit only one of them! Not for only morph. For any objects, that can be grouped.
20 REPLIES 20
Barry Kelly
Have you explored saving elements as a Module?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
All we need is that wish for in model editing of modules to be implemented! We can always hope...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Have you explored saving elements as a Module?

Barry.
Of course! But the fastest way to do it: 1. create model of necessary objects by morph or other 2. Store the original morph somewhere in the project 3. Save morphs and any other as GDL 4. Use any quantity of copies of this GDL object. 4. Edit the origin morph 5. Save edited morph as GDL (rewrite with same name). But, i think you understand how many limitations has this method. And MODULE has even more limitations. Unlike other architecture programs Archicad is on the way to make working process maximally free, intuitive and flexible. So in this way i say about block (like in AutoCAD), component/dynamic component (in Sketchup), instance (in 3d MAX). MODULE in the end, with edit-in-place function to reduce annoying extra actions. MORPH with instances ability. Or....just...Group command works like BLOCK in AutoCAD....
Anonymous
Not applicable
An instance / module / component manager and editing window similar to the detailing / worksheet windows where you could use all tools (3D and 2d) to create an object/ a room/ an apartment etc would be ideal.
Such a tool would simplify file management for projects in a similar way to when Plotmker was incorporated into ArchiCad. This tool would also likely meet the object creation needs of most users and not require them to delve into GDL.

Regards
Scott
Podolsky
Ace
Would be nice if saved Morph as GDL would be possible to edit in Library Part Editor directly - as it's possible to edit GDL script. In today's ArchiCAD you can create Morph, save it as a library part and place it as many time as you want, but routine is starting when you want to modify it: or you need to keep your initial morph somewhere on the plan (let say in special hidden layer). If the initial morph has been deleted - then it's necessary to convert the object to morph and re-save. If GDL object had drawn 2D symbol - you will need to draw it again after morph was re-saved. Everyone can agree with me - this routine is not so quick and simple as editing instance in Sketchup.
Anonymous
Not applicable
it would be better if there are features such as making components (in sketchup) this is certainly very helpful and speed up work. I hope that this feature will be as soon as possible, considering that the revit software also seems to have this feature already.
DGSketcher
Legend
There have been numerous requests to GS to provide this going back SEVENTEEN YEARS!!! We live in hope...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
There have been numerous requests to GS to provide this going back SEVENTEEN YEARS!!! We live in hope...

Totally agree with that...I have asked this feature in 2006 I think...the answer by some fans of the program was "this is Archicad" after fourteen years now you see other famous bim program(s) and have this very basic understanding. It is critical however it is not seen by developers. I don't know why?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any progress on that?
It is indeed essentiel.
You could keep the princip of modules if that is easier to implement, the important thing is that you can "edit in place".
You want to change things in this modules in the context where they are placed, not in a remote place.
We could enter this mode in any placed instance of the module and everything else is greyed out, then you make your changes and when you finish editing the module is saved with the changes.
(To be clear: that is not possible now, you have to make the changes to the module in its original placement. If you would explode it somewhere else to make changes and save it over all the instances will be messed up)