Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Hyperlink Property Data Type

If element properties import/export with Excel is going to work in the real world, URLs need to function. We need a Hyperlink property data type.

AC Link Property.png

TIL you can open well-formed URLs in the schedule within Archicad. This is... not very useful in collaboration.

URLs in schedules can be opened in PDFs if the text is complete, which it isn’t, unless you want to see these 200-character things on the layout. Truncated URLs pretend to be links, but of course they are broken, which you find out when you get to the browser. Bad UX.

Excel is dumb about recognizing URL strings automatically, but the user can turn the URL into a link. Just don’t change the display text, or the URL will be lost on import to Archicad. Excel readily imports hyperlinks from other software.

When Archicad re-exports the schedule with the URL strings, they get turned back into plain text in excel. 👎

Literally every product is selected on the web; this has to be fixed if the Excel round-trip is to be a real workflow.

PS, they have solved this for BIMx: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Visualize-articles/Add-hyperlinks-for-all-3D-elements-in-the-Cus...

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
9 REPLIES 9
JaredBanks
Mentor

This is an obvious and important improvement that Archicad needs ASAP. And the tech has been inside Archicad for years per your BIMx link!

Imagine creating a PDF from Archicad with live, legible links anywhere on the documents! That'd be amazing.

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Brian Spears
Booster

I have nothing to add that the posts above don't already say, so I'm just dropping in to +1 getting URL as a data type Property.

Brian Spears
BIM Manager, Steele Group Architects
Winston-Salem, NC
AC26 USA on macOS

":Imagine creating a PDF from Archicad with live, legible links anywhere on the documents! That'd be amazing."    I think its a little less amazing to those of us who have been hyperlinking the .pdf's with Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat Pro for decades.  It is done with Bluebeam too.   I would like to do this all in Archicad of course, but I don't known how important it is since I need to have the Adobe Acrobat Pro or Bluebeam anyway.   I am not so sure my understanding of what "hyperlink" means in the context of Acrobat and Bluebeam is the same as how it is being used in Archicad-speak about things I don't understand.    Hyperlinks and Archicad (Part 1) – Graphisoft     The thing I don't like about so may GRAPHISOFT Articles is that there is no way to comment on them.   For example in the link above, it seems as if they are completely oblivious about Adobe Acrobat Pro and Bluebeam.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

vistasp
Advisor

Yes, please!

= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |

Steve, you clearly know what hyperlinking means because it's what you're doing in Adobe Acrobat Pro and Bluebeam. We shouldn't need to bring our documents into other programs to get that functionality. It would be great if the existing hyperlinking ability in Archicad were smarter. As you mention, you've been creating hyperlinks in other programs for decades. Why can't Archicad do that too?

Plain text hyperlinks are a great way to access external data and are an obvious need in Archicad. The article you reference was written in 2013 (by me in fact) and there's been pretty much ZERO development in improving hyperlinks in Archicad. That's disappointing, hence the validity of this wish.

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome

Like I said...  "I would like to do this all in Archicad of course, but I don't known how important it is since I need to have the Adobe Acrobat Pro or Bluebeam anyway."   this is in the context of External Hyperlinking which you and I are taking about, but this thread is about Internal Hyperlinking of Property Data Types, which is why I was not sure about the use of the term.  What we are talking about should be in a different thread.   

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this Wish into our Wish database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-4399)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

gdford
Advisor

yes yes yes yes

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

So is it in Archicad 26? It really, really needs to be.