Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

In 3d selected elements shown in 2d (inverted F5)

Pertti Paasky
Advocate
It has been useful to select elements in 2d and show them in 3d by pressing "F5". The same function from 3d to 2d could be as good.
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good idea.

It works for schedules. You can go to 2D and 3D. It would be nice to have that "go to 2D" function incorporated into 3D window.

+1
Use the forgotten selections pallete as a workaround for what You need.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Piotr wrote:
Use the forgotten selections pallete as a workaround for what You need.
Not to the point.
First of all, Selection Palette takes a lot of screen realestate.
Second, it takes a lot of effort to create a selection, save it and then find it.
Third, on a large project the amount of selections will be unmanageable.
Moreover, when recalling the selection from selection palette the view does not move to selected item as in more modern solution like schedules.
In my opinion, Selections Palette is rightfully forgotten.

Stand by my +1 to Original Poster.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Going from 3D to 2D is a bit harder to do than going from 2D to 3D.

When you select elements in 3D, they may be elements with different Home Stories. So if you now go to the Floor Plan, only some of the elements selected will be visible on your Floor Plan. How is ARCHICAD supposed to show this? Go to the Story that is the Home Story of the last selected element (as indicated by the Info Box)?
What would be a good solution to this?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
When you select elements in 3D, they may be elements with different Home Stories. So if you now go to the Floor Plan, only some of the elements selected will be visible on your Floor Plan. How is ARCHICAD supposed to show this? Go to the Story that is the Home Story of the last selected element (as indicated by the Info Box)?
What would be a good solution to this?
None. There is no plausible solution for multiple elements selection, however a single element would not be a problem and might be a useful feature.

I was actually thinking about one element, not multiple elements.

Sorry for not making it clear.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, for a single element it would be straightforward.
In case of multiple elements some kind of working logic would have to be made.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I don't see a clean-cut solution for multiple elements on multiple Home Stories.

Show some of them as Trace Reference with graphical overrides to indicate whether they are above or below some other elements?
How to select the element in focus, then?

No. I think this should be a single-element-only feature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Yes, for a single element it would be straightforward.
Hi, I would say that it can be use the same logic of when you select multiple elements, which one do you see in the info box? the last, so probably having a simple logic that it will go to the first or last selected element floor will be logic, I think that is obvious for a user that if they select elements from different story you wont be able to see them all in one story.

Or could be as simple as a dialog that will tell you that you have different elements with different story base, and let you choose which story you want to open.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a situation inwhich it is easier to select the items in 3D but easier to move them precisely in 2D. In my project I have five 22 floor towers all connected by a 5 story building that spreads between them. In the design each of the towers are identical. After creating the first tower I then want to create 4 copies at various locations around the central 5 story building. It is easy to select the entire tower in 3D but now the tower shows as a mass of black and pink dots for each and every item selected. At this point it is difficult to select a specific point of a specific item to use as the starting point of the "drag a copy" command. Even zooming in still makes it hard to determine if the point is the correct one needed. But if the selected items are shown in the 2D window it would be easy to locate the starting point and the end point and ensure an accurate placement. I understand the issue of how to represent the selected items when they are on different floors/stories. One solution would be to provide a pop-up window that would state the elements on different stories have been selected and the message could list the affected stories. When the user moves to the desired story/floor the selected items would be highlighted for the user so he/she could perform whatever action they desired. In my case the popup would show all of the floors/stories and would have highlighted all the items of the tower on the floor chosen. It then would be a simple task to use the "drag a copy" command, select a start point and an end point and voila I would have a new tower placed in the exact spot desired. Due to the sheer volume of elements selected it took me about 30 minutes trying to do it in the 3D window. I could have done it faster by just copying each floor one after another in 2D. If I could have selected the elements in 3D and then moved them in 2D I could have created the copy in less than 60 seconds. So in cases where the user wants to copy multiple floors at the same time to the same place having the 3D selected elements shown in the 2D window would be a great help.

Mike