BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Increase resolution of 3D views produced from Axon or Perspective views

rm
Expert
Currently, AC limits the size of any 3D view to your personal screen resolution. Screens are designed to display at 72dpi. Therefore final resolution of the image is 72dpi, unless when you place the image in the Layout Book, you resize the image smaller causing the dpi to increase. However, in doing so, your image gets terribly small if you want the resolution to be 300dpi for print. I would prefer even 600dpi as my large format printer is capable of 2400dpi

In photography if you want a 300dpi print to be 36", the original file has to be 36 x 300 pixels wide resulting in an original image of 10,800 pixels wide. No problem, you can get this to work in PS all day long, your only limitation is getting a printer that can make a 36" wide print.

On architectural coversheets, especially for presentations, it would be great to be able to place a min. 300dpi image across the full width of the paper, be it 18", 24", 36" etc, etc. We currently cannot do that in AC. Again, the limitation is 72 dpi if you want to image to go full width of your layout sheet.

72dpi flat out is terrible and no where near presentation quality for print.

I have not run across an Architectural Review Board that has not wanted full size high resolution renderings and elevations for review and approval.....But with AC we can't offer that.

Graphisoft PLEASE give us this ability to do so. Not everything is presented on displays, many clients or review boards request hard copy.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
rm wrote:
Hi Karl!

Thanks for trying to help. I may have mixed up terms as far as file types go. Let me clarify. The Perspective view in the first attachment here, is the view I wish to place in my layout book. In order to increase its overall pixel size, I undock the tab it is associated with, right click on view and a pallet comes up to change the overall pixel size for width and height - highlighted in RED. Once you hit, OK the image increases in size. In my case the whole screen goes black, not sure why. I then right click on the black screen and select, save and place in layout book. The view is brought into the layout book and this is where the bug in AC shows itself.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 8.37.10 PM.png

In the next attachment, you see a screen shot of the layout book with the saved view placed on the layout. Notice the top and bottom of the frame is clipped. In AC23 you would typically resize the frame and update it and the whole image would be seen again. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Axons or Perspectives and GS NA has reported this to GS as an issue. Also note the dpi of the image is now 302, which would work fine for me in this case, but unfortunately the top and bottom of the image is clipped, therefore is of no use to me.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 atv 8.39.56 PM.png

Your reply caused me to try an experiment, as you noted modern screens have ppi denser than 72dpi - I took a screen shot of the original 3D view in AC which was a png file. I imported directly into PS. My screens are 4K and 5k . I was able to get in image that would resolve at 300dpi and fit edge to edge on the layout book, effectively doing what AC should be able to do within the AC file itself. This approach requires extra steps, not to mention now I am adding additional external files to the AC file which have to be tracked. But it is a work around until GS can squash this bug.

So to the original point of the poll, if you feel you need this functionality, vote yes. If not - so be it.
Struggling with the same issue at my project.
rm
Expert
Graphisoft has acknowledged the bug as for the Mac platform only.....they have offered no timeline for a fix, Nor did their response indicate the need for a fix.

Once again, report a bug, fully document it for Graphisoft US, get an acknowledgement of the bug, bug goes ignored.

Thank you GS!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi rm,

i so very much agree with you that AC cannot produce decent 300dpi drag and drop option of perspective view into layout.

often times many project do not have fee allowed for fancy render nor need of it. OpenGL looks great on screen but when exported to PDF (by saved view dropped into layout) it's fuzzy and dusty.

all i want in many case is just to be able to set 300 dpi on view setting.. grrrrrr.
R Muller
Enthusiast
I needed a bigger resolution for some Open GL images to be included in construction documents, and found this discussion about it. My images were looking very fuzzy when printed.

Today I realized that for years I have been using my 15" Mac laptop display in a "dumbed down", much smaller resolution than is actually available. My work-around: by setting my display preferences to the highest resolution (smallest text display), moving all the other archicad windows to my other display, and maximizing the size of the 3d window, Archicad generates a larger 3d image. I was able to save a large enough screen shot, 3600 x 2270 pixels, which gives me 350 dpi on the layout. When I saved the same screen view as a .png from Archicad, it was the same larger size. However, the size noted in the updated view settings is smaller: 1800 x 1140. If I drag the view to the layout, rather than save and put it in as an external drawing, I only got 174 dpi.

I'll have to change the screen resolution back, so I can read the tiny text, but now at least I have images that are large enough to make me proud of using Archicad.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey

HI Karl and All,

In AC 24, we could set very large image resolution without actually setting the 3D Window size larger than could be generated on screen. The trick is to use the Camera tool as the source of the view. It is also helpful to undock the 3D window temporarily and set that to a reasonable size that is the same aspect ratio of the desired final live view/image. For example, 1200x800. Then save the View in the View Map. At this point, the 3D window can be closed or re-docked. But the settings for the View are still editable and they are retained when the view is placed on a layout or simply published for post processing.

Again, this is only on Archicad 24.

Attached is a screenshot of a simple example using a Mid 2015 Macbook Pro.

I have created a 4 minute video showing the steps which you can get from my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4crjq6v3z3g9ug/High-Resolution%20Images%20from%20AC24.mp4?dl=0

I have found that I can get much larger images without crashing, using this background type of processing of the view, than I can by actually setting the window to these dimensions (which can only be done on Windows anyway)

Also, using this technique of lower resolution window that has the same aspect ratio, and also using the camera tool, makes the composition of the high resolution view match what you expect.

I really think Graphisoft should bring this technology back since it would seem that they already invented it as an undocumented feature, and it works on inexpensive hardware.

Cheers!

Ransom

Hi Resolution example AC24.png
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows
Learn and get certified!