BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Layer Folder Sets

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish we could organize Layers into folders similar to the one in Photoshop.
I think a hierarchy like that makes a lot of sense.
11 REPLIES 11
__archiben
Booster
http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=126
for the wish and the discussion as to some of its uses . . .

does voting in both count as extra

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that there should be layer folders for the next upgrade of ArchiCAD. Something similar to what you can do in adobe illustrator. the reason being that when there a too many layers with the same extensions it get difficult to scroll through so many layers. it would be easier if one could collapse them into folder..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jose
My first teacher, long time user of AC said: "think about not having anymore layers than fit in a fully extended layer dialog box."
I only do residential remodels, commercial might be another problem.
I have been holding to that and its makes finding layers a snap!
For my screen that is up to around 55 layers, and I don't even use all that.

To reduce layers;
One concept you might consider is to use what I call false stories.
So my foundation plan is on false story -2; my roof framing plan is on say, false story 5 etc.

They are "exploded" lines/fills/etc. of items from real stories, say -1,1,2,3.
Once real objects are exploded they don't show in model view and don't cause extra stuff that needs to be excluded in schedules, and of course this reduces the need for so many layers.
Hope that helps.
Bier
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Bier,
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I agree that keeping layers to a minimum is the best way to keep organized. Yet, in my case, i am working on an urban scale project that requires many layouts that have key plans which are linked back to the model - each view requires a frame with a unique layer. I find it easy to keep layouts organized because they are sorted into folders that collapse. I was thinking that the layers should work the same way.

Jose O
Anonymous
Not applicable
think about not having anymore layers than fit in a fully extended layer dialog box
with all due respect that is utter nonsense. Not having an hierarchical layer structure is real detriment to the program....it's not the way I want to work. Check out tyhe AIA layyer standard....let alone trying to use layers to manage dimendsions and notes for various views, disiplines, and scales.

cary
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd definitely appreciate some additional tools to manage layers but there are some helpful tips you can utilize right now.

1. Lock hidden layers in the layer combination, then set the layer pull down menus to hide locked layers. This makes working with the layers that are relevant to the current view much easier to find.

2. The false story idea has some potential but instead of copying and exploding 3D elements it would be better to overlay live views of the model on your layout. This would save time when you make changes to the model and help ensure consistency.
Dennis Lee
Booster
A little off topic, but if you want to change layer of something to a LOCKED layer, you have to unselect the object and unlock that layer, and then change the layer, and then turn off / lock that layer again, right?

For this reason, I am now leaving all layers unlocked in my layer settings.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Karl Ottenstein
Jose,

I've merged your thread into a 2004 wish with the same idea.

Be sure to vote...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DavorP
Enthusiast
Perhaps an old topic, but still this would be useful. Keeping your layers in order sure is a good thing, but what do you do when importing surveys or other cad into your model and want to keep their layer structure? If you could drop them into a sub folder it would keep your layers uncontaminated.
BIM manager
Learn and get certified!