Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Locking guide Lines

jl_lt
Ace
Even though Mr. James Murray from the Onland website is not very fond of guidelines, i find my self using them quite often. Problem is, if you are not careful you can easily move them out of position; meanwhile the undo command, as in many other things, does not work on it. So, is there a way to lock them while keeping visibility? if not, here are my wishes for this tool:

-The ability to lock them once in position
-Ability to color them
-Ability to name them if neeeded, so that any other person working in the drawing know what they are for (slab limit, facade limit, temporary, etc).
9 REPLIES 9
DGSketcher
Legend
I have noticed as modelling becomes ever more detailed, the need for fixed reference lines has become increasingly important. I still use guidelines but generally on a temporary basis and think your suggestion would be a good wish. My workaround for now for a permanent reference is to use grid lines and keep them on a locked layer. I can appreciate this may not be ideal for more complex projects, but it does provide a base reference. Unfortunately you cannot have an inclined grid line.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
jl_lt
Ace
That´s right. In my case, i have my structural grid lines, but most of the times structural gridlines are offset from slab limits or other elements like facades, which is where i find guidelines most useful, that is, for defining and setting boundaries. Of course, one can use simple lines, but i like the XRAY (like autocad) kind of behavior guidelines have and work very well in 3d. Also i like they appear in all floor plans, dont belong to any layer nor have further properties other than being straight lines and can easily toggle them on/off.

Another wish would be the ability to mantain certain inclination OR NOT when copying or stablishing a guideline. Guidelines tend to acquire the inclination of a target object which is useful most of the times, but sometimes, without fear of redundancy, you want the guideline to serve as "guide" to fix an object, so you want the guideline to mantain its inclination respective to other objects.
DGSketcher
Legend
Another work around could be using dimensions, they are very adaptable, the geometry is accessible for snapping and you can customise the text. You would ideally then be able to place them on a non-printing layer.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have created a poll so you can now vote for this wish.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
jl_lt
Ace
LaszloNagy wrote:
I have created a poll so you can now vote for this wish.
Thanks Lazlo. May the show begin!
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll and for expressing your opinions!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it as Wish #12777). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future, as I can see that this would be an extremely useful feature for big models!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

jl_lt
Ace
Another thing! please add a prompt or warning if you accidentally press the "erase all guideline button"

thanks!
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your wish!

I have created another wish in our database to address the "erase all guideline" button issue (under number #12790). I hope that we will be able to implement it in the future!

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Professor Pickle
Advocate
jl_lt wrote:
-The ability to lock them once in position
-Ability to color them
-Ability to name them if neeeded, so that any other person working in the drawing know what they are for (slab limit, facade limit, temporary, etc).
+1

Sounds like Revit's reference planes, which are by the way an extremely useful tool.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6