Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Magic Wand Tool with Openings

daviiiiidave
Advocate

hello all together,

The Magic Wand Tool doesn't work in the floorplan with openings.

i.e. There is a slab element and I want to subtract the opening. Magic-Wand Tool doesn't recognize the opening. Its in AC 24.

But I don't want the opening to cut trough the slab. cause its the roof structure. not the supporting structure.

daviiiiidave_0-1661333551316.png

PS: Another inconsistency in Archicad. one of many. work on them. we cant teach thousands different workflows cause GS is releasing "work in progress" tools. there should be a list of things every tool has to do the same way. and if not, then its not rdy (ready?) and has to be done right before release. this stacking of functions is a annoying. everytime someone asked me such a question i have to say "Yeah Archicad can’t do that. There is no concept you can follow. its always a little bit different. You have to learn this 1001 workflows."

ARCHICAD 19-25, Student & Full Archicard, CI Tools, Germany
Mifcom Renderbox AMD Ryzen 9 5900X GeForce RTX 3070 TI 32GB RAM 980 PRO SSD Win10
Thinkpad P52 4K i7 8850H NVIDIA Quadro P3200 (6 GB) 32 GB RAM SSD Win10 Pro

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@daviiiiidave wrote:

I see an opening in the floorplan and i got a slab. It should be possible to select the slab, choose the "substract polygone" and use the Magic Wand Tool to get is as big as the opening. this doesnt work cause the opening is not grabed bei the Magic Wand Tool.

The opening is an object and the magic wand does not work on objects, they don't have a perimeter or a path like other elements.

Also the opening tool will automatically cut a hole in the slab if it is associated with it.

There should be no need to cut a separate hole.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

You can place a rectangular opening and just adjust it to any shape.

But if you already have the shape drawn, you can use the magic wand in a slightly different way.

Place a rectangular opining fully inside the shape.

It will associate to the slab.

Select the opening and use the pet palette to add an area and now magic want the inside or perimeter of the shape.

BarryKelly_0-1661414666073.png

If the opening is not fully inside, you will be left with the bit sticking out (which you can easily edit).

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You can do it this way. I have just tried this in AC25, it works for me:

1. Activate the Slab Tool and select the Slab.

2. Use SHIFT+click to add the Opening to the selection.

3. Now that you see the outlines of the Opening, your Slab is selected and the Slab Tool is active, you can draw a hole into the Slab by clicking the nodes of the Opening.

Still, the Wish stands because, as you said, the Magic Wand method can not be used to achieve this.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi Laszlo, first of all thanks for helping @daviiiiidave achieving his mission but there’re two  things:

1) I see the post has some words or is written in a way that need to be reviewed or edited some parts of the speech can’t be published in the community, that’s before any response.

2) I can’t understand why a hole while you create opening!!! I see opening can cut any associated element without making a hole, am I right?

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I did not see any words in the original post that would be inappropriate. Which word do you mean?

About the solution: he said he does not want to use an Opening, hence my Slab hole solution. But let's see what daviiiiidave says.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

It’s ok, I see the post is already edited, thank you all.
About the case Davi faced really I can’t understand exactly where is the problem and also confused so don’t worry Laszlo, great you could help him, greetings.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Thanks for the tip. I can use this or some other workaround. But its again a workaround as you said.

My point is that user wanna use tools which are constitent in their function.

i.e. Magic Wand Tool

This should grab all 2d and 3D geometries/tools. (and it should be controllable to choose whats gonna be grabed) and now its like sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. There is no logic behind it and we have to learn it. imho this is a flaw.

I see an opening in the floorplan and i got a slab. It should be possible to select the slab, choose the "substract polygone" and use the Magic Wand Tool to get is as big as the opening. this doesnt work cause the opening is not grabed bei the Magic Wand Tool.

Mifcom Renderbox AMD Ryzen 9 5900X GeForce RTX 3070 TI 32GB RAM 980 PRO SSD Win10

yeah Mahmoud is right i choose the wrong tone.i edited it. sorry for breaking the community rules.

Solution

@daviiiiidave wrote:

The opening is an object and the magic wand does not work on objects, they don't have a perimeter or a path like other elements.

Also the opening tool will automatically cut a hole in the slab if it is associated with it.

There should be no need to cut a separate hole.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks that makes everything more clear. its an object.

this not about the hole it self. its about the working process.

you are right if i want the opening to be associated with the slab i can add it to the opening.

in this chase i just wanted to get the size of the opening cut out of the slab cause the slab is not part of the opening.

its just about the workflow flaws. my opening is an easy rectangle but if its more complicted i dont want to click on all cornes of the opening to substract the polygone. i wanna use the powerful magic wand tool.

i dont know if its clear what i wanna achive 😄

Solution

You can place a rectangular opening and just adjust it to any shape.

But if you already have the shape drawn, you can use the magic wand in a slightly different way.

Place a rectangular opining fully inside the shape.

It will associate to the slab.

Select the opening and use the pet palette to add an area and now magic want the inside or perimeter of the shape.

BarryKelly_0-1661414666073.png

If the opening is not fully inside, you will be left with the bit sticking out (which you can easily edit).

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27