Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Measuring Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
For angles/lengths etc. (unless there is one hidden away somewhere)

Usefull for people wanting to get measurements when they are signed in for Viewing Only purposes
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
To get lengths in a view only setting, you can use the "Alt/Shift" and relocate the user origin. This gives you the x,y,and r readings to show the distances. As far as angles and further options, I would agree they would be useful.
Djordje
Ace
csparchitects wrote:
For angles/lengths etc. (unless there is one hidden away somewhere)

Usefull for people wanting to get measurements when they are signed in for Viewing Only purposes
Object info palette? Look under Windows pull down menu.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree the ALT+SHFT method of redefining the origin on the fly is the way to do it. I think this is probably the'hidden' method you you were looking for. It is 1000X better than AutoCAD's distance tool once you get used to it, only one-click. I must do it 100X a day.

On the subject, the coordinate display text is the same size as every other peice of text in every other palatte. Seeing how this is the most important information/feedback on the screen, does anyone else out there wish there was a way to highlihght it, e.g. change the color background or better yet, make the coordinates larger, bolder text?

Here's a quick mock-up of what I am thinking:
Anonymous
Not applicable
We knew about repositioning the origin, but it can be a bit of a faf. A dedicated measuring tool would be the mutts nuts.

Dave
Anonymous
Not applicable
A faf? The mutts nuts? I get the gist but I'm just not up on Yorkie.
__archiben
Booster
csparchitects wrote:
We knew about repositioning the origin, but it can be a bit of a faf. A dedicated measuring tool would be the mutts nuts.

Dave
i'm not sure that i agree with you on this. a dedicated measuring tool implies an extra step somewhere in whatever process that you happen to be carrying out . . .

alt-shift dropping the user origin is handy because it is easy to use 'on-the-fly' and doesn't interfere with any action that you are performing (well nearly - drag a copy is a little temperamental sometimes).

so - convince me: . . . what other information would this 'measuring tool' provide other than the current 'x, y, z, r' that the co-ords box now does when combined with the user origin placement, and how would this measuring tool seamlessly fit into the drawing process without becoming a cumbersome extra?

by the way - regarding the 'element information' palette that somebody (i think djordje) mentioned earlier: it is this that could do with improvement AFAIC (ala vectorworks) rather than a dedicated measuring tool . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
csparchitects wrote:
Can a non-native English speaker get a translation, please? 😉

There is also an old method - draw a line from the measuring origin, just look into the coordinate box. You have all the data there. Don't finish the line. Imagine this is a measureing tool - done.

Yes, the Object inof could get improved, but I for one have not seen a comprehensive set of objections. Ben? 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
__archiben
Booster
Djordje wrote:
Yes, the Object inof could get improved, but I for one have not seen a comprehensive set of objections. Ben? 😉
http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=253

not really a set of objections, but you get the gist. i'll get back to you further when it's not half-past-midnight! i've had palettes and their uses on my brain all night tonight. what a sad and lonely life . . .
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Measuring tools are something we got used to in the CAD package previous to ArchiCAD. Tools included measure distance, length, areas, radius, perimeter, angle, number etc. these figures were given in the x, y and z planes plus the diagonal (relative in ArchiCAD).

We have used all the quoted methods of measuring, but thought dedicated measuring tools would be usefull for memebers signed in as view only.

Everbodys comments noted, but what is the best way of measuring angles in view only mode?

Dave

PS

Djorde

Mutts Nuts (or Dogs Bo***cks) = excellent
Faf = awkward/inconvenient