Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

New Model View Option

jp
Contributor
I would like to have a new option available in the "Model View Options" dialogue. Under "Options for Fills & Zones" and "cut Fill Patterns" I would like to see an additional button or a sub button to "Solid". Currently if you select solid, all construction elements will show a solid fill in plan and in section which is great. But, archicad still creates boundaries based on the actual fill of the construction element. I would like to have Archicad ignore boundaries and calculate the view as if all the fills were the same, so fills would merge without the boundary lines between. This is very useful for preliminary drawings, and later for presentation drawings. This is most important for the new interior elevation tool. If this option is available you have much cleaner interiors and can keep them as "auto rebuild model" instead of having to change them to a "drawing" and clean up the mess. I have attached a pdf with a simple example to try and explain.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Dalgliesh Gilpin Paxton Architects
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
If you had solid element subtracted the slabs from the wall and the wall from the roof, you wouldn't see the contours in section as shown in the middle sectional view in your PDF, would you?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
jp
Contributor
You would still see the boundaries. The section example on the left that shows all the construction fills used solid element subractions to create the intersections they way I desired. The example in the middle shows what happens when I set the "model display" to show construction fills as solid. It changes all the fills to solid, but it still thinks about creating boundaries based on the "actual construction fill".

Thanks for replying!
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
jp
Contributor
Does anyone from Graphisoft read all the submissions? I was hoping this would make it into 12 but it didn't. I really hope they will consider it for 13.

This feature actually makes the "interior elevation"tool very useful. Without it, users use Archicad to block out interiors and then send them to dreaded AUTOCAD users to do the linework. It's so much easier to keep the elevations "live" and let Archicad do the work. But having a lot of extra cut lines show up is confusing, looks terrible and is not acceptable.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, there is someone in GS who is responsible for handling and keeping track of all wishes. Believe me, there are literally thousands of wishes.

Actually, this would be a very useful feature so I voted essential.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
jp
Contributor
Thanks for the reply and the vote!
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm very interested in this.
We've learned fast work-arounds (well kind of fast) and of course SEO's... but yeah, in those situations, sometimes...

At the office here, they ALWAYS remake EVERYTHING I go because of this problem, for ALL their printing, and then import into AutoCAD... and we have an endless back-and-forth where I say, well if you do it THIS way you can USE archicad and don't NEED to do all the converting-into-drawings, but here and there, once in a while, some wall or something... and they start turning things into fills and masks and ...

Well. I think AC can do it. But it WOULD be nice, big time, to have it have that extra (FAST) function built in. I'm still learning, but if it was that simple, I could just check a box/override/etc and when I gave less experienced (or less creative?) drafters my work, they could just print it vs. charging me to remake it all as drawings... which of course is really horrible if changes need to be made...

Changes? In PLANS??? WHEN does THAT ever happen?

LOL!
I vote ESSENTIAL.
It's not too heavy a coding task, so yeah... Essential. Just like INTUITIVE SCHEDULES VIA LAYERS for CLIENT based flexibility/changes around costs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Along with separator lines instead of section outlines where the fills meet this would hugely improve the usefulness and automation of sections.
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I use the solid fill option I get solid fills of different colors.
Like in a composite wall the gyp is a solid grey and the stud is white and etc, it doesn't put in the skin sperator lines or the fill pattern but they are still different colors, what are the settings you use to make them all one color?

And I am voting that this is essential too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I vote Essential on this wish. This would greatly reduce the 2d work/editing involved to get the model views exampled by jp.