Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

One year ago...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I found back my wishlist sent to GS more than one year ago... a lot of them have been solved with AC8, partially or totaly... let’s hope AC9 will bring so many improvements...

“Here is my 100 wishes list for the next version of ArchiCAD

1. OpenGL support
...of course not for rendering puprose, but for the working 3D windows.

2. Mousewheel support

3. Hierarchical layer organisation

4. Centralized and consistent workflow
The actual process of having to define layers -> layers combination -> qucikviews based on this layer combo -> define a set for publishing all in differents windows, differents views, differents sections is an astonishing TIMECONSUMER - a centralized control center with graphical organisation capabilities and small preview display to define all these steps in an unique place would be the greatest improvement in AC 8

5. Artlantis puglin included for free
-> other software solutions include decent renderer

6. Decent GDL editor
coloured script / autocomplete / small help bar like when typing formulas in Excel XP / graphical user interface definer like in visual basic

7. GDL Modeler included for free
enabling the creation

8. Direct PDF support in AC / PM on PC
Links and bookmarks should be better handled

9. Drop the PMK file system and use dwg / dxf instead to organize layouts
This woud allow better communication with consultants : when publishing file for you own layouts, you just have to copy these files for your consultants.

10. Export preferences
A clean way to export preferences without having to copy PRF file by hand

11. New GDL command : TRUEPROJECT2
Where we would be able to define a project2 command through a specific section plan to acquire true section of this object in plan depending on the current height

12. Lighting simulation
Develop lamp object based on specific manufacturer datas (like in lightscape)

13. Allow other software to acquire data directly from ArchiCAD
Like Revit does : ODBC driver to access its internal database with external tools such as acess or excel.

14. Structural analysis capabilities

15. Improvement of Trussmacker
The section can only be described by their axis, why not the top or bottom edge ?

16. Dockable palettes / customizable

17. Macro recording

18. Better file output management : paths, etc.

19. Enabling communication between objects
SEO enable object to interact in their geometry but not exchange datas

20. Detail marker -> new window type
We curently can use section/ elevation to draw vertical cut details. A new marker type would be helpfull to draw detail in plan view (patch are unusable !!!!)

21. New object type : structural grid (Revit)
grids that objects would snap to / stick to : if you place columns on these grid on afterwards move the grid, the columns would follow

22. Columns / walls control display
Ability to display these elements on X story up and Y down : one object, displayed through several storiex

22. Section lines displayed in elevations
Many of have to put section lines in façade, but have to do it manually. As the information lies entirely in the project why can't we use it ?

23. Partial section (Revit)
We have the opportunity to define vertical height of a section, but there is no way to make a section accross different story in which a part of the section can be hidden (see revit demo)

24. Ghost story plotting (PMK)
Possible now via PM3.1 and pen management

25. Text styles
Like in word processor : font / size selection throgh

26. Dimensions styles with units type !!!!
Ability to define a dimensionning style with units attached to this specific style : you would have a dim style for details plan, unit style for site , one for the plans, etc.

27. File properties...
Like in word or excel : file properties (like the actual project information window that currently exists) that can be customized to contains more particular info and would be accessible in any GDL object to design titleblocks, for example.

Less important since Layout Book

28. Suppress the trim to roof function !!!
Replace it with an align to roof function, so the wall is always at the good height, event if the roof moves

Partially solved with SEO

29. 3D Profiler
With a direct link between the 3D object and the spline / line used to create it

30. Specific Mesh Tools adpatation (see Revit)
We now have to create several specific terrains to place building on site : the first mesh is the unchanged one, the second the one in which the holes are cut, the last for site modeling.
We can't we have mesh to retains all the information : the original / existing mesh, modified mesh. The modification would be made via polygon that would have specific height. If the polygon is moved, the terrain is transformed. If you cut trhough the terrain, it shows the initial terrain and the modified one. --> volume calculation.

SEO Allows some function, but there should be mesh specific tools

31. Maya style object managing
For specific needs, managing the objects / elements drawn in a project could be done with a spreadsheet like in maya : direct access to specific info/ sort / arrange views, etc.

Possible with calculate menu and interactive schedule

32. Extended Attribute manager
Transfer of quickviews from one project to another one

33. Columns / Beams tools : non only Concrete !
Instead of using library objects for steel structure, why not include it in the beam / columns tool : autoconnection enabled, etc.

34. Auto Label in section views

35. Extended layer attributes for alt design / demolition / renewal
Instead of having to create seperate layers for walls-ext / walls-int, etc. for each version of a plan (wall-ext. ver. A, same, with version B, etc.) Why can't why use sub categories ?

36 . Quickviews arrangements : sorted / unsorted / customized

37. Extended stairmaker / railing system.
The ability to create stair using fills is great. Why can't we use line above these fills to add railing : one difficult thing at the present time is to connect correctly the railing of the stair to the railing of a mezzanine for example. If lines could represent railing, (even curved), that would be great !

38. True Polylines
Plines in like in AutoCAD, not just connected lines and arc -> global editing much easier

39. No distinction between arcs and Line (38')

40. Line to curve and curve to line (38")
Like the function used to curve a slab edge... floating palet !

41. Consistent modifier : slabs / roof / wall (38"')
When selecting the edge of a slab you have the ability to curve it. Why do we have to use special function to achieve this with walls ?

42. Measure / Divide / Percentage / etc. on polylines (38"")
New Polyline element would solve the problem of repartition along theses connected lines and curve

43. Increase the 2D Screen refresh speed

44. Floating palettes for 2D view options

45. Floating palettes for 3D view options

46. Dockable palettes

47. Consistent marker policy
At the present time, there are several tools to document the project :
1. Section / Elevation marker
2. Interior Elevation marker
3. Patches
Why not include all these in a specific tool (extended from section / elevation marker) where you can select sub categories :
1. Sections / Elevation
2. Interior Elevation
3. Plan Detail (suppress the patch notion)
....and make them accessible from quickviews palette

There are some amelioration but should be standardized

48. Quickviews - ability to create keyboard shortcuts for them

49. Quickviews presentation
Ability to store them / sort them / group them like layers in photoshop

50. Layers presentation

51. Back to quickviews disabled !!!!
When selecting a storey in the quickviews panel, you are automatically redirected to the quickviews section --> very bad when you want to browse through stories / section

52. GDL in plotmaker
Partially solved with layout book

53. USER_GLOB_PARAM more thatn 20 / personnal ID
When programming in GDL, one has to avoid the glob_user because it might be the cause of major problem : what if I use the first one and another user intended to do the same : crashes / bug with created objects -> WE MUST BE ABLE TO DEFINE OUR SPECIFIC GLOB_USER PARAMETER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

54. Customizable right click menu
Like it can be done in word !

55. Multi user support on the same machine
Allow the creation of user profile to store : shortcut / dimension / etc

56. Story specific working unit
Another way to solve the problem of dimensionning

57. Dongle support - when AC starts
Archicad should say something like this : AC cannot find the dongle : plug it in or go away - instead of directly kicking us out !

58. Common keyboard shortcuts between application (AC & PM)

59. Consistancy in menu layout and organisation
Version 7 was the begining of a major flaw : new API stored almost everywhere in the menu : the program looks more and more like AutoCAD : some plugins here, some plugins there, many new options, etc. I don't mean dropping those addons, but rather find a better semantic way of organizing it.

Still a problem, the proliferation of toolboxes is awful

60. Access (explanation of the behavior of the object) for customization of the objects used by the API that are delivered in standard AC
Ability to customize skylights, roof surface, etc. to fit our needs.

61. Better material preview
I never draw spheres ! Why can't we see an exemple of the texture applied on a cube and columns plus the usual sphere ?

62. Better texture control
Abiliyt to select different files for each channel (one for texture, other for transparency, other for bump mapping, etc)

63. Render preview (like in Artlantis)
A preview to see how the rendering is affected by the light intensity and positionning

64. True MS windows dialog boxes support
In window you now type the path of the file and the autocomplete does the work for you. You can select favorites, browse the computer much more easier than the old archicad version.

65. Customizable default paths
At least the default path would be "My documents"

66. Bug : library manager : can't access folder with space seperated names

67. Edge of the slabs
Ability to have different edge than the vertical ones.

68. Slabs : fill on plan
Instead of having to redraw fills over the slabs

69. Roof : fill on plan

70. Filter on 3D window export
Ability to save only shadows from the 3D view (to add shadow on site plan/ linked to the 3D project)

71. Custome Window / Door Marker
Ability to add a customized marker for the windows (instead the one by default) without using auto-label in plan view

72. Profiler addon -> imrpovement needed
Definition of the path with walls / or fill + semi-auto update

73. Stairmaker -> 3D window preview needed !!!

74. Stairmaker -> more standard models needed
For metallic construction, for example

75. Stairmaker -> custom railing
Abilitty to define custom railing to use in stairmaker

76. Bitmap : better file format support
Some TIFF file format are only supported when saved with specific application (Photoshop works, ACDSee not)

77. Keyboard shortcuts to ID
Allow us to assign I (i) to directly enter the id of an object like we can do for x,y,a,r, t, b

78. Specific objects properties -> object window
Allow us to define one or 2 keys parameter to be displayed in the information toolbox

79. Library loading time
Find a way to accelerate the loading of libraries (compressed GDL object ?)

Loading PLA solved partially the problem, but it’s still slow

80. Layer extension becomes Layer Prefix
As the layers are sorted by name, adding layer extension doesn't help much their usage -> you still have to prefix them to obtain the desired layer presentation. Using prefix instead of extension would help, but the layer grouping options would be much more easy !!!

81. Ability to copy material properties to another materiel

82. Layer combination renaming enabled !

83. New layer add -> ability to automatically update layer combo with : on in all combo / off in all combo / custom

84. Tooltips style info box
Enabling an info box that would display if the mouse cursor is left on an object for a specified amount of time : Length for a line, surface and perimeter for an area, etc...

85. Improve Information dialog box
Display in a standard dialog box the information that can be displayed using Archiruler

86. Include Archiruler (alt. 85) for free
This is not a specific tool that have to be bought beside ArchiCAD ! Selling a CAD program in which you have to buy add-on to be able to draw is showing how weak is ArchiCAD in 2D ! I've heard people using other CAD system making fun of ArchiCAD users because drawing tools had to be brought once the main software was acquired... I'm not susceptible, but I think they are right !

87. Include tutorial in each distribution
Why the step-by-step tutorial has to be bought separetly when buying ArchiCAD ? Are all new users supposed to be able to use the software directly when opening the box ?

88. Real help system on Windows platform
PDF is great, but compiled html can provide much more useful help files (index / toc / etc)

89. Improve the tutorial in a help file
Microsoft tutorial for Windows XP are excellent. Why can't we have an interactive style tutorials ?

90. Allow shortcut to select tool
Why can't we use keyvoard shortcut to activate specific tools : w -> wall, o -> objects, l -> lamp, etc. Everyone that uses shortcuts would bless you for that !!!

91. Different height for composite walls
Like in Allplan, ability to define different height for each "slice" of a composite wall

92. Semantic design for composite
Adding information for what is supposed to be structural and what's not -> easier structure plans definition

93. Ability to automatically display info of structural elements
Span, loads, etc

94. Extend to... slab / roof / mesh
and link to it so objects are dynamically updated

95. Database connectivity : FROM ArchiCAD TO SQL server, MYSQL server

96. Dotted / Numbered list in any text input
Kind of mini word-processor in ArchiCAD

97. Improve the string of text length measurement method in GDL object
I have created objects where a border has to be drawn around a text string. The more text there is the more inaccurate the border gets !

98. New interface concepts like in Maya or Allplan
Research done in other ways to enter commands - Allplan has a "draw symbolic command" feature. Maya has the ability to enter different menu by using a combination of keyboard and mouse input to access directly menus under the mouse cursor

99. More exchange with Graphisoft people in Budapest
Via ArchiCAD-Talk for exemple...
a great improvement woud be the R&D team launching some themes to think about, ask the users what the think and what they would like about specific feature that the R&D is currently remodeling. -> interaction !!!

We have some infos, but rather in “difficult” times (AC8 and Mac OS X)...

100. No more wishes for the next 5 versions of ArchiCAD
...in the case all these would have been granted !

There are already much less wishes for AC9 !
4 REPLIES 4
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Wow. That's a lot of suggestions
Great work!

The ones I really want include:
58 - common shortcuts, YES!
68/69 and

I almost have as many, but can't remember half of what I've sent. Can't wait to see what AC9 brings
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
What a list! Many are my wishes too.
Especially,
67, 68, 73, 74, 75, 86, 91.
Slab and roof edges should be customizable.
Stairmaker still needs work.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
The most comprehensive list I've seen so far!
Excellent !

I will be happy with even the first 5 items.

Conrado
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
stefan
Expert
Geoffroy wrote:

5. Artlantis puglin included for free
-> other software solutions include decent renderer
Or native support for existing external renderers (like Renderman-compliant ones like BMRT, AQSIS, AIR, 3DELIGHT... and POV-Ray, Radiance, ...

Maybe with a template for the API/SDK so people can add other ones? It is possible to export a scene and render it with simple C/C++ programs, so I guess it should be possible from ArchiCAD.
Geoffroy wrote:
6. Decent GDL editor
coloured script / autocomplete / small help bar like when typing formulas in Excel XP / graphical user interface definer like in visual basic
I agree. Or add VBA to ArchiCAD 😉
Geoffroy wrote:
9. Drop the PMK file system and use dwg / dxf instead to organize layouts
This woud allow better communication with consultants : when publishing file for you own layouts, you just have to copy these files for your consultants.
Or use DWF instead? And do support PDF !!!
But using DWG/DXF would be nice for exchange purposes.
Geoffroy wrote:
12. Lighting simulation
Develop lamp object based on specific manufacturer datas (like in lightscape)
Could be solved if you combine connecting IES-files to lightsources with support for external renderers like Radiance.
Geoffroy wrote:
b]16. Dockable palettes / customizable
Yes. Please. And make it optional, like in Cinema4D !
Geoffroy wrote:
17. Macro recording
Like VBA in Excel !!!
Geoffroy wrote:
22. Section lines displayed in elevations
Many of have to put section lines in façade, but have to do it manually. As the information lies entirely in the project why can't we use it ?
Hey, never thought of actually doing that. I never draw the section lines in the sections, but my projects are relatively small.
Geoffroy wrote:
28. Suppress the trim to roof function !!!
Replace it with an align to roof function, so the wall is always at the good height, event if the roof moves

Partially solved with SEO
Better SEO could get us very far!!!
Geoffroy wrote:
31. Maya style object managing
For specific needs, managing the objects / elements drawn in a project could be done with a spreadsheet like in maya : direct access to specific info/ sort / arrange views, etc.

Possible with calculate menu and interactive schedule
Add both a treelike view (as in Cinema4D) and a schematic view as in 3ds max 6. These are all different representations of the internal project data, but some representations are better suited for particular tasks.
Geoffroy wrote:
50. Layers presentation
D'accord.
Geoffroy wrote:
57. Dongle support - when AC starts
Archicad should say something like this : AC cannot find the dongle : plug it in or go away - instead of directly kicking us out !
Get rid of the dongle. It is cracked & copied anyway. Make it more enjoyable for real, paying users.
Geoffroy wrote:
58. Common keyboard shortcuts between application (AC & PM)
Share settings, preferences and main DLL's/libraries between the two applications. Make sure Plotmaker feels and acts like ArchiCAD in every aspect, but keep it a seperate lightweight application.
(That said, for marketing it might be better to include it in ArchiCAD. I've heard quite a few people laugh at ArchiCAD because we need a separate application to be able to make plots, which is such a basic task).
Geoffroy wrote:
61. Better material preview
I never draw spheres ! Why can't we see an exemple of the texture applied on a cube and columns plus the usual sphere ?
Or use a custom object or the current selection?
Geoffroy wrote:
73. Stairmaker -> 3D window preview needed !!!
74. Stairmaker -> more standard models needed
For metallic construction, for example
75. Stairmaker -> custom railing
Abilitty to define custom railing to use in stairmaker
Stairmaker is getting old and doesn't seem as integrated as it once was, since ArchiCAD is evolving in a different direction.

Make it more integrated in the application. Preview is recommended and get rid of most constraints: a lot of the stairs we draw are existing ones (even if they don't obey to the normal rules).
Geoffroy wrote:
91. Different height for composite walls
Like in Allplan, ability to define different height for each "slice" of a composite wall
Is also available in Architectural Desktop. It makes sense.
Geoffroy wrote:
98. New interface concepts like in Maya or Allplan
Research done in other ways to enter commands - Allplan has a "draw symbolic command" feature. Maya has the ability to enter different menu by using a combination of keyboard and mouse input to access directly menus under the mouse cursor
Don't overdo it.

Or take a look at SketchUp for more direct interaction between the mouse and the geometry. It makes a fast working experience.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book