Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Preserve all geometry and annotation when saving to previous version

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This wish is related to the function where you can save a file to a previous version format. Currently, if a new feature or functionality was introduced in the current version (for example, polygonal Openings in Archicad 25) when you save back to the previous version, these are lost. This is true with modified or new Library Parts, new parameters, properties, etc.

This wish says: let us preserve these by converting all these to static and simple 2D/3D elements so at least the geometry and information is converted to the previous version. For example:
  • When saving to the previous version, it would be great to have a checkbox "Save would-be-deleted elements to Morphs". This way, any geometry or elements not present in the previous version would be converted to Morphs, which would convert back to the previous version.
  • Also, any library part existing only in the latest version would be converted to Morph. This way no geometry would be lost. Of course, parameters would be lost, but the geometry at least would be there.
  • Convert all Dimension Points associated with converted elements to static so they would not be lost when saved to a previous version.
  • Texts and Labels or Autotexts within them displaying info about converted elements should be made static so no info would be lost.

And an additional idea by DGSketcher:

I would reinforce it with a Graphic Override that highlights the changed elements the same way as missing textures or inverted elements are highlighted. At least then you might be able to find the changes rather than the fairly anonymous reporting we get in the Check & Repair process.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
3 REPLIES 3
DGSketcher
Legend
You should really vote for your own wishes Laszlo.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ah, yes, forgot to do that.
Now I voted.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Laci,

Thank you for sharing this idea, this is a great one I must say!

We have added this Wish into our Wish List database (you can refer to it as IDEA-1460)

I hope we see this get implemented in the near future
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT