BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

SEO: Link/Unlink Operators and Operation

Anonymous
Not applicable
I whish I could link/unlink the visibility of a SEO operation to the related operators.
The way it currently works, is that even if I hide the Operators the Operation is still visible.
It would be extremely useful when you don't want the operation to be visible if the operator is not visible.
For example: I have an existent terrain mesh that I want to do some temporary excavation. I simply create morphs with the needed geometry and do a SEO with a linked Operators and Operation. So if I hide the morph, it will also hide the operation.
Or perhaps I am missing something very obvious.
6 REPLIES 6
Miha_M
Advisor
The very obvious you might be missing is the fact that SEO operators have to remain hidden, as they don't belong to the project quantities, but are operators only. In your case I would suggest you do "as built". If you do an excavation, then it's an excavation, even if it's a temporary one and that way it is quantifiable as well. Then you'll have to do another reversed excavation, again quantifiable, to fill in the hole.
This might not be an easy model, but would cover your needs. In your case you'd just have to have a copy of your operator, which would represent the reversed excavation material.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your input Miha_M.
My point here is that I think we shouldn't have to multiply an existing terrain mesh and edit it with an excavation just to document the process. Too many SEO operations with too many duplicated geometries just to represent Existent/Demolished/Constructed. Imagine if we need to apply a phasing sequence to this process. With the proposed Link/Unlink Operators and Operation, I could model only the geometry of the excavation, consequently being able to quantify and correctly represent/document the Existent/Demolished/Constructed. I think this is the correct "as built" methodology. This feature, with my proposed Model Filter View Option, could allow us to have total and easy control of all the aspects of project documentation.
Does this makes sense?

Edit: Forgot to say, that in the example I gave, the "excavation" morph would be created from an "Air" Building Material. So it wouldn´t be visible while the SEO was acting.
Miha_M
Advisor
Nothing to thank for here, we are all trying to make Archicad even better.
This does make sense, although I am not sure if the use of a special SEO is the correct solution. Your excavation example might be one where one "invisible" SEO would be helpful, but I can't think of any other such case.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Miha_M wrote:
Nothing to thank for here, we are all trying to make Archicad even better.
Yes! That's the spirit.

My goal is to utilize the SEO operations to easily pull data from the model.
Here is a single mesh with Add and a Subtraction operations.

The operators are hided by layer.
Note that the geometry of the Original Terrain maintain the operations even with the operators hided.
If I pull the NetVolume and GrossVolume of the mesh, they will reflect these operations.
The geometry of the Infill and the Excavation are much more simple than copying and editing the original mesh. Not to mention that it would add a lot more polygon to the file.
If we could control the SEO operations weather it is an Existent/Demolished or a Simple Existing View would make not only the modeling easy, but also the extraction of quantities.
To refine this feature (And this would be the cherry on top of the cake) there could be 2 new Global parameters to extract from an element, namely: AddedVolume and SubtractedVolume.
Miha_M
Advisor
I do understand your proposed approach to achieve the goal, thank's for your effort.
I still believe the proper way with tools available would be as built, just like it's given in the example of this ContraBIM tutorial series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqpKd4SO4Q7qQ1sXqOz-qoN-B68JF9a77

This does involve some extensive modeling, but gives you every data needed, graphics and quantities.
Besides your SEO proposed solution another, maybe better option does involve tools which we don't have. Some are available as extra addons, but I do think Archicad should have native tools for site design https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=68376&hilit=terrain and earthwork quantification.
I hope we do get something like that in future versions.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. The whish may seem a little sketchy compared with the current workflow that is been used for ages.
I really think this would be a good improvement for the SEO tool and the whole workflow. Probably I am wrong.
Anyway... I will keep the whish here for the posterity and see if it will survive.
Learn and get certified!