Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Show on Stories

DGSketcher
Legend
It would help if GS would take a more consistent approach to the Show on Stories option for 3D elements. My biggest frustration just now is I have a roof with a slanted curtain wall forming part of the structure. The problem here is the SoS options result in an empty hole on upper stories where the curtain wall element should be visible with the rest of the roof. This requires either 2D tracing to fill the gaps in the upper views or a 3D workaround e.g. changing the CW to a morph so that the more flexible SoS options are available to allow the elements to display on upper stories.

Whilst there may be an argument for restricting the users display options for some elements I am not convinced that position is any better than providing the end user with a consistent and predictable range of SoS display options with which they can be familiar and allow for appropriate display of elements which span more than one storey.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you show a screenshot of the problematic situation?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DGSketcher
Legend
Hope the attached explains the problem with the CW, but as I have indicated above I think there is some logic in a system wide review of the SoS options for the few 3D elements remaining which still don't have the "custom" option available.

Off the top of my head I know Morphs, Shells & Roofs have the custom option but I think essentials like Beams (inclined), Windows and Doors need considered as well as the Curtain Wall.
CW Oops.jpg
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So, if I understand correctly the topmost point of the Curtain Wall is below the level of the Story on which you still would like to have it displayed. E.g. the topmost point of the Curtain Wall is 5.50 m, the level of Story 2 is 6.00 m and you would like to see the Curtain Wall displayed on Story 2 as well.

To achieve this, in the Floor Plan Cut Plane Dialog, try to play with the Show Down to field.
Instead of "Current Story" try to set it to 1. Story(s) below.
Then the Curtain Wall will still be vertically within the View Range of Story 2 and will be displayed.
DGSketcher
Legend
Thank for that Laszlo, I will store that solution although it doesn't work for me.

On my particular project the CW object is two storeys down from the full roof projection plane on a steep site and as a consequence other objects start to appear that I don't want displayed and the time to fix those is worse than converting the CW to a morph. The Show on Storeys > Custom option makes such issues a lot more controllable.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Bummer.

But I agree with you that more Show On Stories options should be useful for Curtain Walls as well. It should have all those options available other element types have.

I think all element types should have all these options available for the Show on Stories field:
  • * Home Story Only
    * Home & One Story Up
    * Home & One Story Down
    * Home & One Story Up & Down
    * One Story Up (or ability to switch off Home Story Display with Custom option)
    * One Story Down (or ability to switch off Home Story Display with Custom option)
    * All Stories
    * All Relevant Stories
    * Custom
Various element types have one or more of these options available but it is simply impossible to predict when a given options would be needed to achieve the exact 2D representation so all construction element types should have all options available, in my opinion.
DGSketcher
Legend
The name's Trevor not Bummer

Contrary to my earlier comments this doesn't apply to doors, windows or skylights.

I have been through the range of 3D elements and GS have already set up the custom option in the Slab, Roof, Shell, Morph and Mesh tools.

An extended range of display settings is already in place for the Beam, Stair, Object and Lamp tools.

Which only leaves Walls and Columns restricted to being displayed on Home and All Relevant stories. Probably the most important ones requiring an extended range.

From a programmers point of view I would have thought it shouldn't take much more effort to complete the set and make the Custom settings dialogue box the default. That must be a win/win for everyone?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
DGSketcher wrote:
The name's Trevor not Bummer
You mean you think I thought your name was Bummer? That is what I get from your emoticon. But it is not my habit to call people names on Forums I moderate.

How would I even know what you name is? It is not in your user name or your signature.

To my knowledge "bummer" in English is like saying "oh, too bad". I was reflecting to what you wrote that the solution I offered was not workable in your particular situation.

But to get back to your point: from a programming point of view it is not as easy as it sounds. Whichever part of the program you change, I think there is always a considerable upfront overhead work, even if you just try to consider what other parts of the program will be affected by your planned changes.
But it is good to remind the developers through such posts how users think features would be most useful.
DGSketcher
Legend
I was just teasing abut the layout of your reply Laszlo that's why I used the "twisted evil" emoticon. "oh, too bad" is a good translation and a lot better than anything I could offer in Hungarian.

I think most of the programming is already done, there is only the walls and columns to bring up to speed and then just amend the UI for all the elements listed above. I have a feeling this is already on the GS road map... fingers crossed.

Köszönjük hozzászólás
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
DGSketcher wrote:
I was just teasing abut the layout of your reply Laszlo that's why I used the "twisted evil" emoticon. "oh, too bad" is a good translation and a lot better than anything I could offer in Hungarian.

I think most of the programming is already done, there is only the walls and columns to bring up to speed and then just amend the UI for all the elements listed above. I have a feeling this is already on the GS road map... fingers crossed.

Köszönjük hozzászólás
OK, I got it.

I hope you are right about the road map thing.