Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Skin Priorities must affect both Walls and Slabs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Skin Priorities of Walls must affect Slabs and Beams and vice versa.

This way we could have this section without using extra elements just for intersection clean-ups!

Skin Priorities .gif
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
This would be the most logical approach to deal with sections intersections shortage at the moment IMO. Essential!
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hello.

Please take 10 mins to read this, and comment if you think it worth it.

This wish is inspired from the post from Mr. Matthew Loden "Along with replacing the section outlines between dissimilar fills with separator lines, this would go a very long way toward fully automating the model to drawing process (the holy grail of model the building and annotate the views)."as read in "slabs and roofs should be affected by skin priorities"

We're talking basically about Sections, where we want to see a very clean intersection of all the materials between Slabs, Roofs, Walls, Columns and Beams. To clean an intersection we basically perform a series of SEO and we try to use Composites, Complex profiles and so on. Of course the vast majority also uses the Priorities set for particular elements as Beams (which can substract themselves off Slabs, Columns, and Walls) and Walls. All of this to "Clean" an intersection full of skins.

What if... we go directly to the issue: We want intelligent clean intersections from the very beginning.

My Wish: Having Priorities for the Cut Fills on the Fill Types palette. (for use in the skins on the composites/profiles.)
And this priorities should work as a Beam on a Slab or a column on a wall, as an automatic SEO.
Think about a typical section between a plastered wall and a finished slab on the facade: If the Core materials (Cut Fills) have a higher priority than the Finish materials, you don't have to worry about future SEOs to clean the intersection, even if the slab goes deep into the wall. This mean the Core materials always override the Finishing materials.(in this particular case).

So If you use several skins you also can use several levels of priorities as well. And you can intersect any complex element with any other element and still having clean intersections according to the cut fill priorities.

Thanks for you time.

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
NandoMogollon
Advocate
I've been checking other wishes regarding SEOs reflected on floor plans, and skin behavior on composites.
I think this will solve most of the issues.
Best regards
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Yes.
So this mean it could be a good idea!!

Regards
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Karl Ottenstein
[Moderated: Merged newer wish into older one found by Valery.]
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I voted essential (as I have on related wishes for years) with the stipulation that this also includes proper treatment of separation lines.

Adjoining fills of different types should be separated by some pen OTHER than the section outline pen. This could be a default separation pen set in the project preferences or separation lines (and perhaps end lines) set in the composites. It seems that this wouldn't be too difficult to achieve. It only requires that the program identify edges that join to other fills and ones that do not. It may be that this capability already exists in the program given the extent of clean up that is already done.

It is also possible to simulate this capability with the complex profiles. Attached is an example I just threw together quickly to demonstrate this. It is an unretouched section of the junction of a foundation profile and a composite floor.
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Isn't it nice when a wish comes true?

~(:mrgreen:)~ \':mrgreen:'/ ~(:mrgreen:)~
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Barry Kelly
NandoMogollon wrote:
Isn't it nice when a wish comes true?

~(:mrgreen:)~ \':mrgreen:'/ ~(:mrgreen:)~
However there is always a BUT...

In this case the slab/wall skins clean up but the plan view of the slab may be incorrect.
Take a simple example - a concrete slab and a concrete wall with a cladding or finish on the outside.
The slab can be modelled to the outside of the wall.
In section the slab will join with the concrete skin and will not penetrate the finish.
But in plan the extent of the slab is the external (outside) of the wall still.

Also if you have multiple skins in your slab and each trims to a different skin in the wall then what perimeter of the slab do you show?
It will show the true extent of the slab and not what is trimmed.

Not a problem if you don't need to show the slab extent in plan.
Of course there will be many work-arounds (i.e. model the slab to the actual extents you want to see in plan) and I am sure more problems will be realised as well.
Probably better discussed in more detail when everyone gets to play with it.

17 NDA is now over so it can be discussed publicly.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11