Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Slab Edge Materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please consider allowing each slab edge to be assigned a different material.
Perhaps similar to the way you already can with beams but obviously slabs can have any number of edges, so the interface would have to be variable to reflect the number of edges the selected slab has.
13 REPLIES 13
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
THis wish could be tied in with a (hopefully modeless) 3D Material Manager as discussed at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=5783&highlight=

At the moment the best way to achieve what you want is by using Solid Element Operations.

Cheers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
or a tiny thin wall.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
hey guys,

the tiny thin wall idea is cute... and i have thought about it... but it's a pain in the proverbial... and dangerous on bigger jobs... if you need to stretch or modify the slab in any way... you have to make sure the wall is modified the same... time consuming..

i have also tried it with solid element operations but it doesn't really work... first of all the target and operator need to intersect... problem is if you're using the slab as a structural concrete slab that needs to be accurately dimensioned, if you have the operator subtract the slab you're losing true edge of the slab which defeats the purpose and the material won't be continuous...(refer attached to see why i think this is important when it comes to walls of the same material sitting on top of the slab... as in a rendered wall sitting on top of a slab whose edge will be rendered to match)... if you extend the slab past it's original edge you can get the material to read through but you'll get a slab that is dimensionally incorrect in plan... i suppose a different solution might be to have SEO affect the plan outline of the target as well... but this might not be desirable in other circumstances... maybe it could be an option "affect floor plan with operation?"... anyway after all this you get the same problem as with the tiny wall suggestion... as is the same with all SEO's, i guess that would be something to get used to...

thanks for your time though
Dwight
Newcomer
my base observation is that if this is a "Slab," any material change is in fact a surfacing material [less'n it paint] ...... and by making a slab edge have a different color, if that were possible, you'd just be faking a surface and where would your BIM be, then? It would be WRONG!

Heavens!

I nominate myself for Most-Useless-Concern-of-the-Month
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
Dwight wrote:
my base observation is that if this is a "Slab," any material change is in fact a surfacing material [less'n it paint] ...... and by making a slab edge have a different color, if that were possible, you'd just be faking a surface and where would your BIM be, then? It would be WRONG!
exactly why i didn't jump into this thread to begin with mr useless-concern! the only scenario i could see this happening was in the painting and decorating . . . and that's just a matter of taste. didn't want to be the first to look stupid pointing it out though in case i'd overlooked something

i asked the question here to see if pavol's latest creation can used for this . . .

cheers!
ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
In the normal course of things, the second guy to look stupid is also looking stupid.

Not that this would apply to us, but one does take that risk adressing marginal issues.

Like, say, the margins of slabs.
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
Dwight wrote:
In the normal course of things, the second guy to look stupid is also looking stupid.
can't you tell already from the look on my face? too much sun!
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
No.
Not the sun.
The spikey hair.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
If you really want to be non BIMmy, use roofs with zero pitch instead of slabs.

Materials each face as you wish, even sloped edges! Yay!

Now I am dead!

Left to wither in the vast deserts of the Jebel Ali South ...

Ben, don't listen to Dwight, he's just jealous ... spikes freeze ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen