Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Variable Manager

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I would like to see a truly parametric modeling environment, and I think some kind of Variable Manager would greatly help this cause.

Instead of typing exact values into our story settings, wall heights, etc, how about assigning them a variable? This way we can alter the variable at a later time and have the stories, walls and everything else automatically adjust. The attached image, is what I propose the Variable Manager look like. Everything is customizable! Then we can have direct access to the Variable Manager from within each tool, as well as a drop down menu.

This would be perfect for measurements, but could also be applied to attributes, such as materials, composites, fills, linetypes, etc.

It's just a conceptual idea for now, but I think it could be a very powerful tool, without being too confusing!

Cheers,
Link.
15 REPLIES 15
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Here's the image
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
I would like to see a truly parametric modeling environment, and I think some kind of Variable Manager would greatly help this cause.

It's just a conceptual idea for now, but I think it could be a very powerful tool, without being too confusing!

Cheers,
Link.
Next thing is to connect those variables by means of mathematical functions. Interesting, I would suggest those improvements as a part of an existing Attribute Manager.

Cheers
stefan
Expert
I had this same idea for our internal development.

From what I had in mind, I can add a few suggestions:

both custom defined variables and program-default variables should be available. Combine this with a scripting interpreter and you can make "relations" in the model.

e.g. The height of this wall is "3m" in "absolute value", while the height of another wall is "-0.3m" "relative to" "next floor".

e.g. The height of this wall is "0m" "relative to" the object "roof 27" -> this lays a relation between a wall and a roof and could be automatic.

The idea of custom floor reference levels was something similar, although they don't are connected in the current implementation: changing a reference level doesn't modify any elements.

---

The moment you introduce such automatic behaviour, it might be good to have a kind of "debug" or "schematic" mode, where you can visually (using lines & colors) show existing relations and you can modify or delete them.

Could be a very powerful system, yet it can turn into something very complex, so this is not a feature to be implemented over a weekend...

---

Our idea behind this is that you can lay "design information" into the model: a wall is not always meant to be something exact: maybe a certain relation is intended and then the system provides means of storing a design intention into the model.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
e.g. The height of this wall is "3m" in "absolute value", while the height of another wall is "-0.3m" "relative to" "next floor".
This is the way Allplan is meant to be used : very powerful : changing one parameter such as storey height changed the project correctly. The same behavior was possible for doors and windows defined in absoluter height or relatively to wall top/bottom values...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoffroy wrote:
This is the way Allplan is meant to be used : very powerful :
This should be additional/advanced feature rather than standard feature for beginners. ArchiCAD simplicity would be lost like it is case with Allplan.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this could be a part of a bigger thing.
When we build a column or an external wall most of the times the wall goes up to many storeys.

In current situation when moving a wall we should go and move all of its parts on all storeys. If we could bind them together so moving the wall would move all others at the same time OR ask if we want to break the binding condition.

I think this feature is in revit but i am not sure.
This kind of internal binding is very usefull.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
I think this could be a part of a bigger thing.
When we build a column or an external wall most of the times the wall goes up to many storeys.

In current situation when moving a wall we should go and move all of its parts on all storeys. If we could bind them together so moving the wall would move all others at the same time OR ask if we want to break the binding condition.

I think this feature is in revit but i am not sure.
This kind of internal binding is very usefull.
I think the marquee tool is better for this purpose. It can be fine tuned to move/stretch exactly what is wanted. And the 3D marquee can be limited vertically (in plan of course it is just the current story or all of them).

On the larger issue: For AC to move toward the Revit system of relationships is a VERY big issue which would need to be looked at in a long range and comprehensive fashion. Perhaps this is already happening back in Budapest. The SEOs are clearly a step in this direction.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
This would be perfect for measurements, but could also be applied to attributes, such as materials, composites, fills, linetypes, etc.
I wish one could add global variable in your environnement and modify them in this environnement : this way, we could fine tune the object behavior based on specific global var.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are so many softwares on the market that can perform wonders but not in the easy way.

We already have to set so many parameters before we actually see 3D object, lets not make our lives any more complicated.

How many times did you had a chance to implement those advanced features? 90% of work won't require any variable cross linking.

I'm not against it, just want to set their importance.

Cheers