Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Variable Manager

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I would like to see a truly parametric modeling environment, and I think some kind of Variable Manager would greatly help this cause.

Instead of typing exact values into our story settings, wall heights, etc, how about assigning them a variable? This way we can alter the variable at a later time and have the stories, walls and everything else automatically adjust. The attached image, is what I propose the Variable Manager look like. Everything is customizable! Then we can have direct access to the Variable Manager from within each tool, as well as a drop down menu.

This would be perfect for measurements, but could also be applied to attributes, such as materials, composites, fills, linetypes, etc.

It's just a conceptual idea for now, but I think it could be a very powerful tool, without being too confusing!

Cheers,
Link.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
TRIBU wrote:
We already have to set so many parameters before we actually see 3D object, lets not make our lives any more complicated.
Do you really think building the Virtual Building in a semantic way would complexify your job ?

I know Allplan was a nightmare to use, but you're not obliged to link everything in your project. Giving the users the ability to do it would be, from my point of view, a great step forward...
TRIBU wrote:
How many times did you had a chance to implement those advanced features? 90% of work won't require any variable cross linking.
Maybe it depends of your clients : we have sometimes so many alternatives to show them that some of the features Link propose would be extremely useful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoffroy wrote:
I know Allplan was a nightmare to use, but you're not obliged to link everything in your project. Giving the users the ability to do it would be, from my point of view, a great step forward...
It's exactly my point. I never said it is a bad idea. I just want it to be implemented seamlessly into existing working environment.

Geoffroy wrote:
Maybe it depends of your clients : we have sometimes so many alternatives to show them that some of the features Link propose would be extremely useful.
I'll agree on that, even though alternatives may differ so much and setting connection between them is impossible.

And it always depends on clients.
Huh, it's better that they never know how we do this.
I'm bumping this up so people can think about it again, and it can get more of the Essential votes it deserves.

I remembered this wish today. My coworker and I were discussing how cumbersome it is to keep straight the various elevations of soffits, window heads, etc. You have to keep in your head that the head height of the second floor windows is 7'-4". There is no way is embed this datum meaningfully in the model. You have to remember it, write it down, something.

Yet this datum is an integral part of the project, just like the story settings. I need to know it, the framer needs to know it, it's real. There are dozens of these magic numbers (and other attributes!) in a project.

AC needs parametrics at the project level. I should be able to move the Second_Floor_Window_Head_Elevation, not the windows themselves. Then we'll have an intelligent model, not just a model built out of intelligent parts.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
... My coworker and I were discussing how cumbersome it is to keep straight the various elevations of soffits, window heads, etc. You have to keep in your head that the head height of the second floor windows is 7'-4". There is no way is embed this datum meaningfully in the model. You have to remember it, write it down, something. Yet this datum is an integral part of the project, just like the story settings. I need to know it, the framer needs to know it,.....
A method I've used for a long long time is a 'reference section' through the model (yes - on a separate non-printing layer) which cuts through all elements providing a useful 'level reference sheet'. Often totally unreadable (as a section) but with the addition of 'scribbled' notes I find it indispensable.

At least, it is easier to update than a photocopy of a primitive section with a host of handwritten / sketched details & notes.

IMHO .... Stuart
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Good work link.

I'll add this one to my web site as I think it's a really good idea.

And how about you can do all the UI stuff on Windows and I'll do the OSX ones?
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
__archiben
Booster
TOP OF STEEL

ESSENTIAL ! ! !

(except the steel objects would probably STILL be scripted to underside datums!!!)
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup