Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

We want: LAYER PALETTE that shows the SELECTED things LAYER

aryastark
Enthusiast
to op Discussion click here: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70172#p313012 n ö

I never understood why archicad doesn't have this feature. Very surprising. Even relatively simple programs such as photoshop have the layer display feature of the selected element, while the absence of this in a complex program like archicad is a big handicap.

In a nutshell: through hundreds of layers, for the purposes of -changing layer name; changing it's priority level; duplicate it as a sequel to a close name for a reason; delete it etc.- layer palette should show [must make highlighted] automatically the selected elements layer when it opens.
 just like in the "building materials" palette.
Building material pallet shows inside(makes highlited) when i choose something before opening the palette. )
thanks for reading.
valar morghulis.
Ver: AC23
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Chip type: GeForce GTX 960M
16 REPLIES 16
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
A question:
So, what happens if a Wall is using 2 Classification Systems, and based on one Classification, the Wall should be hidden, but based on the other it should be visible?
Does one Classification system take precedence over the other? Which one?
What happens when in the case of Walls, the first Classification system needs to take precedence, but in the case of Slabs, the second Classification system needs to take precedence?

Also, if you eliminate the system of Layers, you have to replace it with 4 Properties: Locked/Unlocked status, Visibility status, Intersection Priority Group, 3D display mode (Solid/wireframe).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo,

LaszloNagy wrote:
So, what happens if a Wall is using 2 Classification Systems, and based on one Classification, the Wall should be hidden, but based on the other it should be visible?
Does one Classification system take precedence over the other? Which one?
If the two Classification Systems share the same Property, then there is no issue. When we filter that Property it will have only one value. But if each Classification System has its own Visibility Property, then when I define the criteria, I will specify which Classification I am referring the the Visibility value that I want. So we will have Visibility_Class01 and Visibility_Class02. But in my opinion there would be no need to duplicate properties with the same name. And if I imported another Classification System that had a "Visibility" property and the project already has a property with the same name, then a popup message would alert and ask if the user want to duplicate it.

LaszloNagy wrote:
What happens when in the case of Walls, the first Classification system needs to take precedence, but in the case of Slabs, the second Classification system needs to take precedence?
Sorry Laszlo but I didn't understand. What do you mean by precedence?

LaszloNagy wrote:
Also, if you eliminate the system of Layers, you have to replace it with 4 Properties: Locked/Unlocked status, Visibility status, Intersection Priority Group, 3D display mode (Solid/wireframe).
This could be addressed by "Filter Combinations" and "Filter Rules"

p.s.: I think these last posts would be better if moved to the Model Filter View Option Wish.
jl_lt
Ace
one question: these properties would have to be assigned individually? i mean, with layers at least once you assign it to an object, and assuming you got your combos right, you assure visibility consistency in all your views. personally i never understood the concept of hiding a specific object like in revit. for me if you have walls you either see then in section or you dont, but never manually hide a specific wall (or anything else for that matter), id rather modify the section line if i dont want something to appear.

from what i understand, eliminating layers would create a very sofisticated system with extreme flexibility, but also it would elevate complexity and potential for chaos for less experienced users; meanwhile layers keep it simple and can create an immediately workable system even for novice users. so, i would advocate for a solution that allows extreme complexity but also extreme simplicity.
or am i missing something?
Anonymous
Not applicable
jl_lt wrote:
these properties would have to be assigned individually?
You mean assign property values individually, right? If so: No. You can select a bunch of similar elements (Find & Select) then apply the value that you want once and all the others with that property will display the new value. Very similar to a Layer definition.

jl_lt wrote:
personally i never understood the concept of hiding a specific object like in revit.
I am not a Revit user. But from what I saw and understand, Revit has just a dumb Category Filter that you can define any intrinsic value. They are simple "Tags". Like: MEP, Architecture, Structure, Landscape, etc. Then you just filter elements that have that "Tag". The proposed Archicad Model Filter will use any data associated to an element to filter the model. Including Story, Height, Length, BM, Properties, etc. Way more powerful.

jl_lt wrote:
from what i understand, eliminating layers would create a very sofisticated system with extreme flexibility, but also it would elevate complexity and potential for chaos for less experienced users;
I don't think so. It would be more like a biker learning how to drive a bus. It is not rocket science.
I also think that this logical approach to deal with data from a BIM Model would allow for a future digital assistant like Siri or Alexa. Imagine: "Alexa"... "Show me only MEP ventilation duct elements that are scheduled to be applied today by the Contractor X"... Bam!
Now imagine how could poor Alexa do this with Layers.
jl_lt
Ace
Braza wrote:

Imagine: "Alexa"... "Show me only MEP ventilation duct elements that are scheduled to be applied today by the Contractor X"... Bam!
Now imagine how could poor Alexa do this with Layers.
Now this is forward thinking! for a brief moment i imagined a Tony Stark-Jarvis design interaction, but instead of Ironman it would be a low budget school

Joke aside, I think i get it now; basically if someone wants to keep working like now (like yours trullly), they can do it, but this system would allow for much more complex interaction and data management right? a trully scalable system for the simplest project to the most complex tower. My gripe would be what Mr. Nagy points out: basic visibility properties currently handled by layer configuration would have to be handled separately
Anonymous
Not applicable
jl_lt wrote:
but this system would allow for much more complex interaction and data management right?
Exactly. And also the foundation for AC new features.

jl_lt wrote:
My gripe would be what Mr. Nagy points out: basic visibility properties currently handled by layer configuration would have to be handled separately
I think it would be the same with Layers. They would be right there in "Filter Combinations". The only missing would be "Visibility" (The eye icon), as it would be intrinsically the "Rule" itself (If it is not in the criteria then it is not visible).
Pawel Spychala
Contributor
aryastark wrote:
to op Discussion click here: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70172#p313012 n ö

I never understood why archicad doesn't have this feature. Very surprising. Even relatively simple programs such as photoshop have the layer display feature of the selected element, while the absence of this in a complex program like archicad is a big handicap.

In a nutshell: through hundreds of layers, for the purposes of -changing layer name; changing it's priority level; duplicate it as a sequel to a close name for a reason; delete it etc.- layer palette should show [must make highlighted] automatically the selected elements layer when it opens.
 just like in the "building materials" palette.
Building material pallet shows inside(makes highlited) when i choose something before opening the palette. )
thanks for reading.
valar morghulis.
Alt+click on element do this. It works even on not selected elements.