BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Window and Door Materials and Colors

4hotshoes
Advisor
As it is now, Walls, Slabs, Roofs, Beams, Columns, Stairs and Railings all use "Building Material" to regulate surface appearance in the 3D model, which makes it easy to create color schemes for clients to approve. But Windows and Doors need an update as they use Surfaces to regulate appearances in the 3D model. When using the "Building Material" for color/texture, it becomes a "one-stop" location to create and change schemes.

For example, If I could create a building materials for Window Sash (indoor/Outdoor), Window frame (indoor/Outdoor), Window Casing (indoor/Outdoor) and change all globally for the project from the Building Materials toolbox. Then I could also coordinate the same materials for doors at the same time if doors are provided by the window manufacturer (common in residential).

As is is now, I have to create custom selections to separate exterior doors from interior doors, while the main entry is likely unique. Then I may have interior windows (rare) that are not at all like he exterior. This process of change is tedious and could be immensely simplified if the Doors and Windows Tools were updated to follow the direction of other Tools that use Building Materials rather than Surfaces.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend
Good suggestion. This is the kind of thing GS should be doing to simplify the design process and trim the epic number of settings required in elements. As you say it coordinates components across the project, which is a big plus.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed a good suggestion.

GS should focus on optimizing the general user interface. Too much clicks for simple tasks.
4hotshoes
Advisor
I would be interested in hearing from the person who voted no. How do you work this out in the current surface assignment that is better than proposed?
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it in the future as Wish GISS-603). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Lingwisyer
Guru
So the current surface options would just become overrides much like they are for other components.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!