Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Wishlist | Ability to show Solid operations in plan view

Josh Verran
Expert

I feel like I'm missing something here, but when you perform a solid operation (for example: cut a flat area out of a sloping site mesh) you can see that affect in all views except plan views.

My wish would be to have the ability to show all object accurately in plan, which would include there current shape, not their shape prior to being operated on

"plan view is an orthographic projection of a 3-dimensional object from the position of a horizontal plane through the object. In other words, a plan is a section viewed from the top. In such views, the portion of the object above the plane is omitted to reveal what lies beyond. In the case of a floor plan, the roof and upper part of the walls may be left out. Basically, a plan view is just another name for the top view of a 3D object".

3D View3D ViewElevationElevationPlanPlanSectionSection

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Johan Stinckens
Advocate

A lot of replies, but these are all "navigating" past or around the issue at hand, which is clearly an "issue". A "symbolic" view can be an option, but an "actual" top view is a must. Why opt for object-oriented desiging/drawing if we need 2D polylines to make it readable!

Are we that "conditioned" that we just think in "work arounds", and are satisfied if we are handed one?!

Still truly believe in the power of Archicad, but there's a need for dedication to the product from the development side.

Get it in the wish list!

Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
JK88
Contributor

@Josh Verran  I'm assuming that you are trying to show the outline of the cut area on the Plan view right? Usually, I would first create a 2D outline using the line tool on the cut area on the Mesh (Plan view), then after that, select the Mesh (Plan view), then select the Mesh Tool (whilst the mesh object is still been highlighted), after that press & hold the Space bar to activate the Magic Wand, then do a single click right on the 2D outline of the cut area, after a little dialogue box will ask you whether you would like to cut etc, hit ok, then you will be able to see the outline of the cut area. I hope this helps.

Barry Kelly

This is a wish many have made - not saying it is a bad wish.

As you wrote the plan view is a basically a top view of a 3D object.

This is not quite the case in Archicad.

The plan view is a symbolic top view, not an actual top view.

However, try this.

In you plan, right mouse click and choose "New 3D Document From Floor Plan".

Is this closer to what you want?

You can adjust the 3D Document settings to eliminate the colours and just have lines.

I am not saying it will be perfect, but give it a go.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

This is a sub-optimal solution and is only viable if dealing with a few instances. The more SEO and "corresponding" 2D linework, the more time-consuming maintenance associated with updating linework as SEO changes.

Architect | Computational Designer
ArchiCAD 25 | Win 11 | 4800HS | RTX 2060 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD
www.johanwall.com
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Drag a copy of both the mesh and the operators to the side, select the mesh, right click and 'convert selection to morph(s).

If you somehow ended up with more than one morph, select the morphs, right click, boolean operations, union.

A morph offers pretty much the same plan and section options as a mesh and gives you the ability to hide edges by selecting them and picking 'hidden'.

Always keep your original mesh, incase you need to make changes. Adjusting morphs is very time consuming.

Just an alternative work around.

You could also relocate to the west of Netherlands where I can just use a slab for terrain, since it is flat 😉

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Rico
Booster

Depending on the type of cut, you could use the opening tool, which works on meshes and shows in plan.

iMac 27" 5K • macOS 10.15.7 Catalina • 40GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 5004 FRA
Ryzen Threadripper 3970X • Windows 10 • 64GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 Solo UKI
Solution
Johan Stinckens
Advocate

A lot of replies, but these are all "navigating" past or around the issue at hand, which is clearly an "issue". A "symbolic" view can be an option, but an "actual" top view is a must. Why opt for object-oriented desiging/drawing if we need 2D polylines to make it readable!

Are we that "conditioned" that we just think in "work arounds", and are satisfied if we are handed one?!

Still truly believe in the power of Archicad, but there's a need for dedication to the product from the development side.

Get it in the wish list!

Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.

Hi Johan

You've hit the nail on the head, some great workarounds and explanations for why we need workarounds, however doesn't really address the shortfalls with the tool/views.

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Karl Ottenstein

@Josh Verran Agree with your wish, but please search the forums before posting a new wish.  This has been wished for since at least 2008, from a quick search of "solid element operation plan view":

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Have-the-2d-plan-view-reflect-SEOs-made-to-3d-objec...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Solid-element-operations-Plan-view/m-p/215310

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Solid-elements-operation-SEO-don-t-show-on-plan-vie...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Solid-element-operation-floor-plan-display/m-p/2862...

Over the years, Graphisoft has acknowledged how important this is to most of us and assures us that it is high on their list, but is more complicated than we think it would be (in order to maintain good 2D performance).

Still, folks should 'like' yours and other similar wishes to show support for this. 🙂

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Josh Verran
Expert

Good point, thanks Karl.
I will go "liking" on those posts.