Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Wishlist | Ability to show Solid operations in plan view

Josh Verran
Expert

I feel like I'm missing something here, but when you perform a solid operation (for example: cut a flat area out of a sloping site mesh) you can see that affect in all views except plan views.

My wish would be to have the ability to show all object accurately in plan, which would include there current shape, not their shape prior to being operated on

"plan view is an orthographic projection of a 3-dimensional object from the position of a horizontal plane through the object. In other words, a plan is a section viewed from the top. In such views, the portion of the object above the plane is omitted to reveal what lies beyond. In the case of a floor plan, the roof and upper part of the walls may be left out. Basically, a plan view is just another name for the top view of a 3D object".

3D View3D ViewElevationElevationPlanPlanSectionSection

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
27 REPLIES 27

Karl,

I'm sorry, but I kindly disagree!

If any of these posts had resulted  in an actual solution that would be absolutely right.

There would be no need for a new topic or replying to a rather new one.

So GS is promising this since 2008, and there's new topics from 2013, 2018 and 2020. And still it isn't included in any of the many releases since then. It might be complicated, but that doesn't mean it should be pushed forward that long.

Anyway, if a post is quite old, and replies have died out over the years, I don't think it is that bad to create a new one. Also, it isn't always that easy for everyone to ask the right questions when in need of an answer. The recent "refurbishement" of the GS forum makes it even harder for me to find what I am looking for.

Josh, 

Have you marked my previous comment as a "solution"?! Not sure if this is the best way to go! You are right if you hope more people find their way to this comment and ask GS to just do this for AC26. So Kudos for that!

Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.

I'm with @Johan Stinckens on this. I am developing a new perspective on some of these wishes. When you look back it is not uncommon to find 10+ year old "important" wishes accompanied by more recent GS apologies for the delay due to complexity. Yet almost overnight GS seem to have been able to adapt AC to be the new tool of choice for structural engineers. We are also hearing from news reports about DDS that AC is probably creating a fully integrated MEP solution. Something isn't right here with regards to Architectural tool development and the users are paying for it.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Very good point @DGSketcher

The Architectural aspect should come first!

Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.

Well said!

I've thought for a while that some of the fundamental elements and workflows should be resolved, before developing and releasing new features.
I understand the new features make the software for competitive and useful, but some of these fundamental issues date back years and years.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

This is not a great example of the important problem being talked about.  The "solution" was to simply model the mesh the way you wanted it,  instead of trying to carve it out using a SEO.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

David O
Booster

Hi if it is for terrain modelling using the mesh tool why don't you use the terrain tool pallet, this helps you work with levelling areas and also does cut & fill calcs, it is real easy to use, I have attached a couple of screen grabs for you.

That must be a paid Add-On as there is no such tool by default in Archicad.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi Laszio

It's not if you have a current Graphisoft UAS subscription it's part of the UAS, if you go to your help menu then select UAS downloads there are some very useful tools there that I use all the time.
There are also useful additional libraries an extended materials lib for Cineware in Archicad for rendering & the goodies which extend some of the tools of Archicad, I have attached a couple of screen grabs to show you.

Regards

David

Graphisoft UAS downloads terrain tool.jpgArchicad UAS command under help.jpgSpecial tools for Archicad under UAS.jpg

Yes, that is a specific Upgrade And Support (UAS) bonus for UKI licenses.

It isn't available to all users in all regions.

However if you know the web address and you have a GSID, you can sometimes get access to that part of the support website.

But if the add-on is specifically written for the UKI language version, then it may run on that language version only.

So even if it can be downloaded, it may not work for everyone.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi I didn't realise that, mind you it seems to me that the terrain tool should be part of the base Archicad install as that is required in a lot of cases.

Regards

David