BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

"Objects of Ambiguous Origin"

Craig Bagley
Contributor
Per AC14 Reference Guide:
An object in this category has been placed in the project, but duplicates of this object (that is, objects with the same ID as the placed object, though they may be named differently) exist in at least two linked libraries. ArchiCAD randomly uses one or the other source for the object’s placed instances.
It would be more predictable/manageable/accountable (take your pick) if only the latest versions of the duplicates were placed.

I've also noticed that this random selection occurs with other Duplicate Objects (i.e. - other than "Objects of Ambiguous Origin") noted in Library Manager>Information.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't think that it would be a good idea to let ArchiCAD decide what to do. Most of the time it turns out that the best thing is the let the user decide or that the user have the opportunity to decide.
I don't like when a program makes various assumptions on my behalf when it cannot possibly be prepared for every possible scenario.

So I think it is better to have this warning and then it should be the user's responsibility to resolve those conflicts.

By the way, you should vote in your own poll.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Thanks, Laszlo. I see your point.

Perhaps leaving the choices with the user might include some"global" settings to save editing time:

"Use objects from the newest library"

or whatever
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Learn and get certified!